What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Get that refresh rate up.

SugarJ

Staff member
I don't know if it makes you a better gamer, but there is definitely a difference when moving up to higher refresh rates and displays that don't introduce as much input lag. I think purely from a KDR aspect, it's more about the player than the hardware cause my KDR definitely hasn't improved from 60Hz to 120Hz...

I haven't experienced ULMB, but going from 60Hz to 120Hz w/ GSYNC was definitely noticeable. Whether your eyes can see it or not, the perceived smoothness and responsiveness does increase.
This. My KDR is way better since I upgraded to a AW3418. I was usually 1:1 on Battlefield 5 but I'm now normally about 1.5:1 with the odd game around 2:1. It's made the game more enjoyable for me.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I think some people are confusing blur with frame rates/refresh rates. ST is absolutely right, there is a limit for what humans can perceive. But I think having less blur is actually the bigger factor than going above 90hz.

Put another way: a game with zero blur at 90hz and zero blur at 144hz? I doubt anyone anywhere would see a noticeable enough difference to affect their performance.
Unfortunately, the best way to correct blur is higher rates. But if game makers concentrated more on making a game without any blur at all at 90hz, then such silly things like 240hz wouldn't even be considered nor necessary.

It's just monitor makers trying to make up for sloppy optimization in games. Making refresh rates into a new ____ measuring contest pointlessly.

clshades

I've met people, like some who've already posted, that can't feel or notice any affect between higher and lower fps (no lower than 60) or higher/lower refresh rates. Nor can they notice the fluctuations.

I speak no bullshit when I say that I can. It's not so much a visual thing but more like a roller coaster thing. I feel nauseous when fps dips below 90 on PC games and refresh rates lower than 90 I find to be unplayable. This is one of the reasons I've bowed out of computer fps gaming. I simply can't afford to keep both of these numbers high anymore.

I've tried VR and can't handle the fps swings, it makes me physically sick. When the fps dips and speeds up again my brain rolls over.

So while some call bullshit I can respectfully comment that it's not.

Also, if you're still reading, there is a correlation between fps, mouse rate, refresh rate, bullet accuracy and bullet count. If your card needs to drop frames to keep up, bullets will be deleted too. There was a test done on this ages ago.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
This is one of the reasons I've bowed out of computer fps gaming. I simply can't afford to keep both of these numbers high anymore.
Do you just not play games at all then, or is it strictly FPS games that make you nauseous? I'm curious because no console does 90 that I'm aware of, so wondering if distance from screen to eyes makes a difference too if you're playing on TV/couch vs monitor/desk.

Though for me, in Destiny 2 if I fall/jump really far down, I get that feeling in my stomach like I'm actually falling too. So I think it depends on how the game is designed as my FPS does not drop below 110.

clshades

Do you just not play games at all then, or is it strictly FPS games that make you nauseous? I'm curious because no console does 90 that I'm aware of, so wondering if distance from screen to eyes makes a difference too if you're playing on TV/couch vs monitor/desk.

Though for me, in Destiny 2 if I fall/jump really far down, I get that feeling in my stomach like I'm actually falling too. So I think it depends on how the game is designed as my FPS does not drop below 110.
It only happens in fps games and some types of racing games. It's the side to side, checking behind or engaging with lots of stuff happening. I don't notice frame drop on console but then I don't play fps console games at all. I'll try Titanfall 2 and see, just waiting on an expansion storage drive.

I've tried matching a constant fps to refresh rates, maximizing fps by lowering graphics, many other tweaks. The one that holds constant is locked fps (if possible) to a matching refresh and I've always had better KDR at the 120(ish) or 144 settings.

I'd love to play 240 but $$$$$
I think in the end, the smoother an FPS runs at high fps/refresh rates the more successful people will be. Sadly it's not Nascar gaming anymore and the more powerful PC dominates.

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

And if multiplayer gaming it's all about network lag. OT yes the higher frame rate game plays smoothly on your end not multiplayer

Soultribunal

Staff member
Out of curiosity Hades, when did this start with you (the nausea) by chance?
I only ask because I'm curious if its a later development in your life (because we haven't always had high Refresh Monitors, or Consoles).

I know for myself I had to adjust the blue light. But for my wife it was actually corrective glasses. She used to play CS:GO with me (and was amazing at it) and then at one point she had much the same problem with shooters.
However, after seeing an Opthamologist she got a set of corrective glasses and that has helped her immensely.

-ST

Izerous

Makes me feel lucky to have messed with VR even 20 years ago and not felt nauseous. Even more recently did a few game at the rec room with some friends and only once did I have any kind of reaction and it was a glitch in the game. I was even using the walking controls instead of the warp controls.

The glitch that occurred though was a tower defence type game where your an archer that can move around and monsters run down the path. At pretty much the highest point in the game shooting almost strait below leaning over a cliff edge, and arrow stopped at my feet where there was not texture and should have been clear space to hit below.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@clshades
That's kinda weird nausea to have. I've got zero issues with nausea if my frame rates go down even as low as the 20s. It's annoying AF, but it doesn't make me sick.

On the other hand, I can't use VR at all. Period. Every single time I've tried I've gotten massive nausea within ten minutes. I don't think my eyes focus at the same rates tbh, because even at a movie theater, a 3D movie with passive glasses gives me a huge migraine, at least. For those cases I had to buy "2D" passive glasses - essentially both lenses polarized the same way to flatten a 3D movie back into 2D - because nothing else would work to prevent those issues.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Also, I forgot to mention this but: I can change perceived frame rates if i concentrate... Is that common? Weird? Might be related so I thought I'd mention it.