What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Getting nuts here

clshades

ok lets hammer out a couple things.
1st of all this is an HTPC. You should be running this CPU at normal settings if not eco. The cpu will spin up if it needs to and believe me.... it doesn't really need much power to run movies or internet explorer. I have the exact same board and its completely rock solid. Oh and disable boost or whatever it is.... ya don't need it.

Don't up the voltage on anything its completely not necessary.

The ram should just run at auto. Do not overclock the cpu its totally not required at all. When you get into windows set the power to balanced and disable putting the hard drive to sleep and disable hibernate. Windows 7 doesn't play nice with hibernate.

I don't know your computer skills but I'm assuming if you got a stock cooler on it you pulled the tinfoil (if there was any) off the bottom of the HSF. I don't like the stock cooling because I don't like the setup with the twist spring mount system (intel) or the AMD double clip thing. The contact with the cpu is marginal at best. You might consider getting mid ranged third party cpu cooling. If the case is big enough an AIO water cooler to help reduce noise.

Make sure your bios is completely up-to-date.

Windows 8.1 is far better for HTPC in my humble opinion especially if you want to hack American Netflix.

The mobo is excellent... I'm pretty sure this is a heat issue maybe even the chipset is running a bit too hot. If your chipset is running over 60c replace the mobo with the RMA or warranty from the place you purchased it from. IF you were having any issues during install the OS may already be corrupt. Install the chipset drivers... very important for AMD systems.

Cptn Vortex

Sorry I couldnt chat Seb, was in the middle of a game of CoH with a bunch of my buddies from Ontario!

clshades

I was thinking on this a bit more. If you are setting the ram timings to max spec (manually) and using the auto overclock (boost) its turned on by default the ram will be outta spec with the boosting.

Again... Turn off the auto boost and don't set the ram manually. Then see how it runs.

sa seba

Sorry, I was away over the weekend and had wowed to "not internet" too much.

@clshades: Thank you for the suggestions! I went through most those setting unfortunately, before giving it back to memory express.First, I run everything auto, then slightly over volted, the with amd memory profiles, then back to optimized defaults, boost of, manual timings.... I hadn't played with the boost feature though, but I will keep this in mind for next time. ;)
What happened is, that I returned both CPU and mobo to memory express to exchange them. The had the same model of mobo in store, but not the cpu. So they ended up testing the existing CPU on the new board with ram I supplied and this turned out working out of the box, without any tweaking in bios now windows. The first mobo was faulty in some way.

Anyways, I put it all nicely back into my node 304 and found that the outermost ram slot is a bit loose. This sucked but ultimately, I managed to make it work.
Now it works nicely and I am in the process of setting up Kodi on it (on windows 7 as base system.

This is indeed a nice board, and it perfectly fits my needs.

@Cptn. Vortex: No problem! ;) I understand only too well, having played Enemy Territory with friends from all over the world. It was tough to set up game times, but once set, it's a full commitment.
Thank you for the card!

clshades

ah good! That's what I love about memx. They will, while you walk around the store for 10 minutes, test your stuff.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter