What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Getting Win 10?

sswilson

Staff member
That's a really old article, and while it might still be correct in what the current activation license states, I don't think it's accurate in what's been happening IRL.

I don't have first hand experience (I'm still working off of several retail licenses) but I haven't heard a single person complain about not being able to re-authorize their Win 10 license on new hardware. I have on the other hand seen a few postings from folks stating that they had no problems getting one re-authorized over the phone.

As far as "retail" goes.... I'm not sure such a thing exists these days for Windows 10. I believe all the copies sold these days are essentially what would have been "OEM" copies under earlier Windows versions and as such are designed solely for one set of hardware.

edit:

This might set your mind at ease.....

How to link your Windows 10 product key to a Microsoft account | Windows Central

Keep in mind that Microsoft is doing everything in their power to get folks onto W10 and keep them there. Silly things like allowing the use of old(er) OS auth keys to install 10 makes it clear that they're not all that concerned about how you get onto 10, they just want you there so they can monetize your eyes and surfing habits.

Last edited:

fubar

That's a really old article, and while it might still be correct in what the current activation license states, I don't think it's accurate in what's been happening IRL.

I don't have first hand experience (I'm still working off of several retail licenses) but I haven't heard a single person complain about not being able to re-authorize their Win 10 license on new hardware. I have on the other hand seen a few postings from folks stating that they had no problems getting one re-authorized over the phone.

As far as "retail" goes.... I'm not sure such a thing exists these days for Windows 10. I believe all the copies sold these days are essentially what would have been "OEM" copies under earlier Windows versions and as such are designed solely for one set of hardware.

edit:

This might set your mind at ease.....

How to link your Windows 10 product key to a Microsoft account | Windows Central

Keep in mind that Microsoft is doing everything in their power to get folks onto W10 and keep them there. Silly things like allowing the use of old(er) OS auth keys to install 10 makes it clear that they're not all that concerned about how you get onto 10, they just want you there so they can monetize your eyes and surfing habits.
Thanks for the info! I just want to know my options and the cheapest but legit, the better. They can 'monetize my eyes and surfing habits' all they want. The more power to them - I agree with you, that's what they want. As I'm primarily a Linux user (Ubuntu mostly, currently) and also with some experience with VPNs etc., I say they can do their worst. I want to have more experience with Windows so I'm in the loop and for potential employment purposes.... Plus, it helps to talk to other (computer) users who often are using Windows too....

JD

Staff member
If you purchase a Retail copy, as in from an authorized seller and in the full packaging, you should be able to transfer that license between machines. If you buy an OEM copy (or random keys from shady sites), then chances are that license is tied to the 1st machine you activate it on and can't be transferred.

Regardless, telephone activation is always there as the fallback. I don't think MS really cares too much about enthusiasts that build their own PC's. They make their money from the OEM's and business that buy licenses en-mass.

Latest posts

Twitter