What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gigabyte 880GMA-UDH2 + Zotac GTX970 = Headache

This one: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151027

I do not see why would they share one of V12 lanes between two PCIe connectors. 1 lane is for EPS connector for sure. 2 for PCIe, and 1 for molex/SATA.
Having said that 7970 was running on one PCIe connector and one adapter of the 2 molex connectors, since PSU had no 8-pin PCIe connector.
I will try on molex adapter.

Valkyrie

I'm curious as to whether you tried an older Windows to see if it gets stuck just for fun. Also if you did a fresh BIOS flash, or if it was just already on the latest as that wasn't clear. There has to be an explanation for this.

I am guessing the PCIe power delivery, but how would I prove it?

Valkyrie

I am guessing the PCIe power delivery, but how would I prove it?

I would think that the 7970 would tax the PCI-E power delivery to a similar extent.

The reason I asked if you had tried an older version of Windows is that I have a Z77 board that I have swiched back and forth between XP and Win 7 many times without issue. The most recent attempt to install XP was a royal pain, but that was after a couple of months trial of Win 10. It was challenging to figure out what had changed in the BIOS, which in this case is UEFI. Maybe your board is non UEFI, but the practice of allowing the OS to actively interact with the BIOS is in my opinion crappy.

If your wondering why I use XP and 7, it is for benching, that, and the fact that I dislike 10....a lot.

I believe 7970/7770 are BIOS loaders, not UEFI, whereas 970 is UEFI for sure. Most interesting part is that Win10 installation routine is getting stuck, as if it tries to go for some GPU regime and hangs the PC. I will get Haswell gen board and CPU to place the 970 with.

Latest posts