What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gigabyte boot loop on older computer

bonanza2000

So I built this computer 2 years ago and I have not had any problems although I am aware of some people having boot loop issues with other Gigabyte boards.

This is the system:

<DT id=profilefield_title_10 class=shade>Motherboard <DD id=profilefield_value_10>Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 ver 2.0<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "10"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_11 class=shade>Processor <DD id=profilefield_value_11>Intel i-7-930<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "11"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_12 class=shade>Memory <DD id=profilefield_value_12>Corsair Dominator RAM TR3X6G1600C8D<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "12"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_13 class=shade>Video Card(s) <DD id=profilefield_value_13>Gigabyte GTX460<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "13"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_14 class=shade>Hard Drive(s) <DD id=profilefield_value_14>OCZ 60 GB SSD
WD 1 TB HDD<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "14"); //--> </SCRIPT>
<DT id=profilefield_title_22 class=shade>Optical Drive(s) <DD id=profilefield_value_22>LG Blue Ray Writer and Lite-on DVD Writer<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "22"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_24 class=shade>Case <DD id=profilefield_value_24>Cooler Master HAF X<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "24"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_25 class=shade>Power Supply <DD id=profilefield_value_25>Corsair HX750<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "25"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_26 class=shade>Sound Card <DD id=profilefield_value_26>none yet<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "26"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_27 class=shade>Monitor <DD id=profilefield_value_27>Hanns-G HZ251 25 inch 1080p HD monitor<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "27"); //--> </SCRIPT> <DT id=profilefield_title_28 class=shade>Operating System <DD id=profilefield_value_28>Win 7 64 Home Premium<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "28"); //--> </SCRIPT>
The computer has been working fine for 2 years but yesterday I powered it on and it would cycle on and off in 1 second intervals. Power on, fans spin, shut down, power on, fans spin, shut down, etc. It never gets to the BIOS or windows.

I have disconnect the powersupply and drained residual power by holding the power button - no effect
I have pressed the clear CMOS button on the board - no effect
I have removed the CMOS battery for 20 minutes - no effect

Any other bright ideas?
</DD>

Master_Shake_

try one stick of memory, could be a bad dimm...

theres no reason why it shouldn't post if its been working for 2 years.

do you have another video card you could try?

bonanza2000

I could try the 1 stick of RAM but I dont think it is a RAM issue. I have a feeling it is a BIOS issue. Word on the web is the boot loop is from a difference in the primary BIOS and the backup BIOS but seems never to have been an issue for me and I have not made any changes to the computer.

I don't have a second video card but I could pull the video card and just use the chip video off the motherboard, but I dont' think it is video card related since it never gets to the POST stage

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
That board does not have onboard video.

Either dead: board, PSU or CPU. But definitely try a single stick first.

Nodscene

You can keep trying but eventually the board will die or will just continue to loop forever. Wish I could give some good advice but I went through the same issue with my GB board and eventually it just refused to boot into windows anymore no matter how many times I tried. I wasted days trying to fix the issue but it's a known issue with GB boards and they refuse to acknowlege/fix it. Thankfully I had an Intel Bad Axe2 that I put in and still works perfectly to this day (although I just retired it as I bought a new system). And no, I didn't go back to a GB board.

bonanza2000

So I am thinking, new board and keep the 1366 i7 chip or new board (1155) and new chip? Pros / Cons? Kind of like a rabbit hole. If I get a new board and chip, I could get a new case, and if I got a new case . . . . . ...

Nodscene

Depending what you are doing with your new computer it may not be worth upgrading. In day to day surfing, Office stuff etc I frankly didn't notice a huge difference between my Q6600 and i5 3570k (both comps had/have ssd's). It's only when I'm doing encoding or forensic work that the horsepower really makes a difference.

bonanza2000

looking on newegg there are 3 1366 boards available the cheapest $230, they have over 230 1155 boards and 74 Z77 boards with lower prices but I'll have to get a new cpu . . . seems like more choices in the 1155 boards. thinking hard . . . .

Latest posts