What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme Motherboard Review Comment Thread

sswilson

Staff member
I also like the look, but would prefer a functional design over bling.

I've got a question ref. the difference between the DDR2 (non "T" Extreme) version and this one.... (I'm off to do some research, but any inside info would be appreciated).

Looking through the info here on the NCIX site... NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte EP45-EXTREME ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2OC 2PCI-E SATA RAID Sound 2GLAN 1394 CrossFireX Motherboard - GA-EP45-EXTREME In Canada. the DDR2 model is showing an extra add-on piece to the heatpipe design that looks like it fits like a PCI card. Any ideas what this is? Does it actually ship with the card?

Does anybody know for sure if the DDR2 version ships with the same "on-the-fly real-time" software bios adjustments?

Retro

You wonder what these guys are smoking when they come out with these "copper" heatpipe systems. Aside from an overall bad design, these also suffer from over-applied glop that isn't even real thermal paste, and where push-pins are still used, there is lousy contact.
Another thing that many people do not realize is that there is often very little if any actual copper used, much of it is aluminum or some other chinese pot metal that has been anodized to look like copper.
With a cool-running chipset like the P45, this will be adequate for the casual user but for those who overclock and want their system to be as cool as possible.......
Myself I usually tear these garbage stock heatsink/heatpipes off and fit the board with some Thermalright goodies:biggrin:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I also like the look, but would prefer a functional design over bling.

I've got a question ref. the difference between the DDR2 (non "T" Extreme) version and this one.... (I'm off to do some research, but any inside info would be appreciated).

Looking through the info here on the NCIX site... NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte EP45-EXTREME ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2OC 2PCI-E SATA RAID Sound 2GLAN 1394 CrossFireX Motherboard - GA-EP45-EXTREME In Canada. the DDR2 model is showing an extra add-on piece to the heatpipe design that looks like it fits like a PCI card. Any ideas what this is? Does it actually ship with the card?

Does anybody know for sure if the DDR2 version ships with the same "on-the-fly real-time" software bios adjustments?
I don't know about the on-the-fly oc, but that my friend that looks like a PCI slot rad, specifically for the board's heatpipe... is that a first?

sswilson

Staff member
It's the first time I've seen anything like it, but if you look at the design, it probably doesn't do much as it fits into the slots on the top of the NB heatsink which according to our review isn't the best design in the world. (I'm going to give the folks at NCIX a shout on tuesday to see if their kit does indeed include this item).

As far as the software goes... looks to me like it includes the same software. AFAIC, if the only real issue with the board is a "bling" heatsink on a chipset which doesn't really need that much cooling anywise then the software is a major selling point. Should make finding the sweet spot a breeze.

I'm seriously considering this board as I'm running the E8400 on the DQ6, and the Dark doesn't play as nicely with the Q6600 as I'd like it to. :)

3.0charlie

You'll be quite happy running the Quad on the X45 flavor. It's a pleasure working with that chipset - heck my Q6600 has never been easier to oc than on my low-end EP45-DS3L.

sswilson

Staff member
How did you find the EP45-DS3L? In all honesty, I don't really require a full featured board as I don't run raid, and I'll never run crossfire. I was also looking at the lower end giga P45 boards as it would allow me to WC the NB without having to take all of the other crap heatsinks off.

3.0charlie

First, I corrected a typo in my sig. Second, remember how great was the P35-DS3L? Cheap, robust with nothing but the basics? Well Gigabyte upped the ante one notch with this one. I can oc a Quad... Remember though: no Firewire.

Boldeagle

Awesome review and very constructively written. I assume the P45 chipset diagram indicating both DDR2 or DDR3 indicate that the different models will utilise "either" DDR2 or DDR3 but the GA-EP45T-Extreme only uses DDR3?!? *edit* this has become self resolving with another review indicating the "T" suffix in the model indicates DDR3 mobo.

What thermal grease did you use instead of the "hard cruddy" stuff? Obviously this should be the first point to address. I will use AS5 for now.

Finally I am so glad to have come across an obviously "neutral" HWC review of this mobo it was very informative and I will be using it for reference especially as I won this mobo today and despite it's many flaws it will be a significant upgrade on my P5WDH.

Last edited:

Boldeagle

Woot I just got my prize in the mail today and can't wait to get it all up and running but need to remove all the HS and apply a quality thermal paste and then start the build.

Will post some more pics of the finished build and initial results.

Attachments

• New EP45T EXTREME Mobo (6).jpg
    New EP45T EXTREME Mobo (6).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 797
  • New EP45T EXTREME Mobo (11).jpg
    New EP45T EXTREME Mobo (11).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 906