What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gigabyte RX5600XT FIXED - Benchmarks

great_big_abyss

Well, I got rid of this card. Returned it to the original seller, and bought a GTX1080 that came up for sale.

I think I was having driver issues. Games would freeze randomly, and Windows was acting funny at times (non responsive after waking up from S3 sleep state). I've read things about AMD drivers, and maybe it just got in my head. I'm not sure if the GTX1080 will be faster or slower than this card - I've seen different benchmarks showing both. I figure it'll be about a wash, if anything, a little slower. The biggest advantage here will be Nvidia drivers and their polish.

Dwayne

Well, I got rid of this card. Returned it to the original seller, and bought a GTX1080 that came up for sale.

I think I was having driver issues. Games would freeze randomly, and Windows was acting funny at times (non responsive after waking up from S3 sleep state). I've read things about AMD drivers, and maybe it just got in my head. I'm not sure if the GTX1080 will be faster or slower than this card - I've seen different benchmarks showing both. I figure it'll be about a wash, if anything, a little slower. The biggest advantage here will be Nvidia drivers and their polish.

And this is what scares me off the idea of buying a 6800XT. Anecdotal or not, I think AMD has to build some brand trust in their GPU line they way they have on the CPU side. I am sure there are less instances of problems today than there were in the past, but these user experiences do keep turning up on enthusiast forums and make me leery.

Thanks for sharing your experience GBA.

great_big_abyss

When you spend high end video card money ($1500+) you definitely want to have a premium experience, and for the card to just work. Nvidia drivers do just that. They're so very polished.

I'm not saying AMD's driver's don't work, necessarily, just that they're not as bug-free as Nvidia's. The polish isn't there. I consider this less of an issue with low/midrange cards, but yeah, if you're spending big money on a big GPU, drivers had better be issue-free.

Obviously I didn't spend big money on a used video card, but the rest of my computer illiterate family uses this PC, and I don't want them to be dealing with an unresponsive computer on occasion.

Bond007

I have honestly never had issues with AMD drivers myself, or in builds I have done for others (despite others often saying they have problems). That said, I haven't used any in the last couple generations, so I don't know if it has gone downhill or not.