What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Glass bed & warping

danmitch1

Doing some testing on my new glass bed and I cant seem to get it to stop warping my prints.

Im using PETG and tried a range of bed temps, 50 all the way to 70 with no luck,

Masking tape does seem to work the best but does not eliminate the issue completely. Also, how often should you change your tape, every print?

I think I might go back the magnetic bed surface, it worked really great compared to this glass..

lowfat

Staff member
Glass IMHO isn't great. But IMO you need more than 70C, I print PETG @ 85C. If that doesn't work you can always use Elmer's purple glue stick.

sswilson

Staff member
Glass IMHO isn't great. But IMO you need more than 70C, I print PETG @ 85C. If that doesn't work you can always use Elmer's purple glue stick.

Yeah, I haven't done much PETG, but even PLA on glass required at least 60c.

danmitch1

Holy crap eh, I didnt realize it needed that much more. Ill give that a shot.

Im seeing the best combo is buildtak on glass. I wonder if I could install a magnetic buildtak on the glass or would the heater have trouble penetrating the glass, magnet layer then the buildtak ?

danmitch1

Yup 85c, drastic improvement no tape or glue. Still very slight warp, 90c might be the magic number.

sswilson

Staff member
What did you print your cooling nozzles out of? I toasted my first bullseye (PLA) trying to print ABS @ 90C.

danmitch1

PETG, I figure I should be alright no? I guess we will find out lol!

danmitch1

yep, i have the borosilicate bed made for 3d printers. it also has a texture on it that makes the plastic stick better.

danmitch1

Jeez, this bed SUCKS! Even with temps up at 90c on the bed, nothing wants to stick, its like pealing off as the nozzle moves on.
I slapped on one of those overture buildtak sheets on there and no issues at all.. But I broke my print trying to get it off.
Seems to me the best bed is the flexible magnetic ones.

Im gonna save up my pennies and get this PEI magnetic bed.

Ill test it right on the glass bed and see how well it does.