What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Glass bed & warping

danmitch1

That's what I've ordered the last few times and I've been happy with it. Not sure it's PEI, but I'm not having any issues adhering with PLA.
Oh right , thats the buildtak type surface. The only issue with that one is that you can only print up to 60c, anything above and it will start to bubble up and also apparently the magnet looses strength.

OTOH, now that I think of it, I was printing PETG at 60c and that did start to damage it but im wondering if I could have gotten away with 50c since it sticks so well? Im guessing the same would apply to ABS? maybe im wrong..

sswilson

Staff member
I was getting great adhesion @ 45C, and bumped it up to 50C for a large part that I didn't want to curl (zero part fan). My experience is all PLA though so I can't say how it would react to higher temps required for PETG/ABS.

I'm not completely sure on the 60C limitation thing any more... it was certainly listed on early models, but I'm not seeing that limitation any more. Either way, I think that was based on the magnet, and each surface comes with both the surface and the magnet so I've already got a couple of spares. :)

danmitch1

I was getting great adhesion @ 45C, and bumped it up to 50C for a large part that I didn't want to curl (zero part fan). My experience is all PLA though so I can't say how it would react to higher temps required for PETG/ABS.

I'm not completely sure on the 60C limitation thing any more... it was certainly listed on early models, but I'm not seeing that limitation any more. Either way, I think that was based on the magnet, and each surface comes with both the surface and the magnet so I've already got a couple of spares. :)
Hmmm, yeah cause that PEI version is almost double the price... maybe Ill take one for the team or.. cough cough Amazon will :LOL:...

lcdguy

Folding Team
a PEI surface is ideal for PET-g, you can print PET-g on glass but you must use a releasing agent like PVA glue, etc. Otherwise the PET-g could fuse to the glass and when you go remove the print it could take a chunk of the glass with it.

I clean the pei sheet on my prusa with windex (it needs to be the blue windex brand) before printing, don't use rubbing alcohol, it could end up bonding too well.

danmitch1

So far this creality (probably knock off) magnetic mat on the glass bed is working really really well. PETG is coming off relatively easy. Not sure how long it will last at 80c but I guess its considered a consumable at that price.

lcdguy

Folding Team
yeah, if you do a lot of petg at 85-90c it might not last very long as the magnetic portion will loose it's strength over time due to the heat. (unless they are using a magnetic material specifically for high temp applications.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm wondering if you need those kinds of temps for petg with the new magnetic surface. Adhesion doesn't seem to be an issue with it (if anything, the issue is trying to get stuff off, especially if it's a thin layer).

Latest posts