What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GN Benchmarks i7-6700K and i5-6600K against Newer CPUs

moocow

GN released a new video last night comparing the performance of i7-6700K and i5-6600K against newer CPUs. Basically, if you're still on i7-6700K and only play games, you are not losing out a lot. If you're on i5, then may be consider a new build or upgrade to an i7-6700K if you can find one cheap. Interesting, he only recommend doing so if you can find it for $50USD which is not possible. If you're using any kind of productivity software, best to upgrade.

Last edited:

Bond007

I am really liking GN most of the time now. The don't fluff things and seem to pretty much tell it as it is. LONG videos, but it is extensive. It would be good to extend a review like this to include something like a sandy/ivy bridge CPU, and maybe an FX (little heater).

ern88

I watched that video as well. Since I have a i5 6600K. And I am looking at either getting a r5 3600 or, which im leaning towards, the R7 3700x since I think it will be a bit more futureproof then the 3600.

MARSTG

Yes, so is pretty much back to the same paradigm that we live for the last 10 years, we are still waiting for developers to scale the game engines across available cores, maybe optimizing for more slower cores instead of fewer higher clocked cores is really not possible , although i really don't think so, the proof are the productivity apps which do it. For gaming exclusively the decision should be made based on what's happening with the games YOU PLAY OR WILL PLAY, but is pretty much clear that 4c/4t CPUs are getting sidelined more and more often.
And I am amazed to see that even 6c/6t Intel cpus have a minimal advantage in gaming over the 4c/8t parts, you need to jump to at least 8c/8t parts to see important gains. Unfortunately Intel's price structure here make the choice to go with a Ryzen 7 3000 chip much easier.

Last edited:

dentoman

Yeah. We didn't get noticeable performance improvements in the last 6-7 year. For example my Macbook Pro 15 2012 not so much slower in day to day tasks then 2019 model. I mean programs that use only one core, which is majority.

moocow

Right now I'm hoping for a price drop on i7-8xxx because my sister's Hackintosh could use an upgrade. She's still on i7-3770K which isn't the best since she does use Adobe stuff.

justmehereajax

I had a i5 6600K sold it for $150 ebayed it last year fall time lol. Wasnt happy with it no more.

Then I got myself a ryzen 1600 for like $120 locally. Liking ryzen cores.

On my laptop I use a i5 6300HQ which is just ok. Would like at least 8 threads but this dell precision 3510 is built like a tank.

FreeKnight

I don't know if GN added 4K to this one, but it wasn't present on the 4790K video and it feels like a real omission to me (I don't believe it's on their writtent reviews either still). Sure it's not the 'mainstream' resolution yet, but it's common enough in conversation and as a format it's worthwhile. Plus at 4K you really see the GPU bottleneck on the high end. I don't care if I can play a game at 240 fps at 1080/1440, but I do care a lot if a game only plays at 30-45 fps instead of 60 fps.

That being said, GN has really become my go-to for reviews once HW started trimming down the reviews. I still check ours of course, but GN is my mainstay.

Latest posts

Twitter