What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Go Oilers Go!

crazyhorsejohnny

I'm not at all sold on Eakins' swarm defence system.

Sure, maybe that works in the AHL, but at the NHL level there are lots of players who can make those passes through a maze of sticks/bodies, and if you have everyone swarming the puck carrier and the puck makes it through then you have 1-2 guys wide open in the slot.

Sure, we're outshooting our opponents, but those chances we're giving up are really high percentage ones, so it's no wonder our save % is so crap. That being said, our goalies really do need to start making some saves.

Yakupov back in the lineup tonight. I just hope that he's put in a position to succeed with decent linemates.

I'm not sold on Eakins period. I think the Oilers took a huge risk hiring a coach with no NHL experience and hair like that ( LOL !!!).

GregH

Yeah, I haven't watched a game since the Christmas break. Doesn't appear that the players give a crap so why should I?

proxy

Sounds about right, I stopped watching games regularly around October, surprised people made it to the Christmas break.

I want to like Eakins, but until his 'old school' side dies a horrible and complete death, and the Oilers Ownership/Management is cleaned out, this team is going nowhere.

MacTavish could surprise me, but after picking up Gadzic et al; we'll see. At least they pulled a decent trade for MPS.

Time for the draft again, the most exciting part of an Oilers season.

proxy

Come on people! Ricky Olczyk finally given the boot after 5 years of incompetence in favour of Bob Green. Bucky finally gone after 7 years of uselessness, Steve Smith and replaced by Craig Ramsay as defensive coach. Nothing but crickets?

These are things that needed to be done 5 years ago, still a long way to go, and MacTavish still doesn't have my faith, but all steps in the right direction.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
They needed to be done 5 years ago and the organization has been damaged so thoroughly that it will take years, if not a half decade, to rebuild properly.

proxy

Yep, should have made those moves 5 years ago, but better now than not.

I don't think they're so damaged it'll take years.
The hardest thing to get is talent, and they have that. They just have horrible pro scouting and don't seem to be able to fill in the rest of the pieces.
The defense alone makes me want to cry while everyone at Copper'n'Blue were screaming for them to sign Gilbert and Hainsey last year for a combined 3.5 million.

Problem is the rot is at the top; management and perhaps the owner himself needs to be cleared out badly.
They're the problem, they can't evaluate pro talent and keep operating on a system of nepotism.
The recent moves are very encouraging though, and here's hoping Lowe goes on walkabout and MacTavish can come to his senses and stop bringing in goons and get cheap effective players like Raymond to flesh out the 3rd and 4th lines, and Gilbert, Hainsey types for the defence.
I mean they can't seem outright just fire or rid themselves of the 'Boys on the Bus' club, but at least they're 'reorganizing' them into non-vital positions.

We'll just have to hope Eakins murders his 'old school side' and another solid hiring to go along with Ramsay will allow him to acclimate much faster to a NHL head coach position.

proxy

If the Oilers despots let Petry walk to free agency or trade him for shite this upcoming season I'm going to be mighty annoyed by not surprised. Way to not lock down an established good defenseman, and set up a potentially bad situation where you lose him for nothing or next to nothing.

Latest posts

Twitter