What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Going back to school - need new build $4000 budget

muffler

so i bought the EVGA 3080 FTW3m, ASUS Dark Hero and 5900x. now i wait.

in the meantime, i still need to find RAM,PS. as some mentionned 850w Gold/platinum should be good but which brand is better. i got a EVGA G2 750W right now and actually like it. Seasonic any better?

But for ram, i have no idea. i looked at some NEO and TForce but they all look the same to me. have no interest in RGB so would a ripjaw be same as NEO. options below:

Bond007

in the meantime, i still need to find RAM,PS. as some mentionned 850w Gold/platinum should be good but which brand is better. i got a EVGA G2 750W right now and actually like it. Seasonic any better?
How old is the G2? Very solid PSUs that you could probably re-use if it isn't too old and sufficient wattage. That era of EVGA PSU were their best...their new stuff is still fine, but not as good in my mind. For reasonably priced PSUs I recommend Seasonic Focus plus gold, or Corsair RMx. There are others, but those are routinely best bang for buck IMO.

Last edited:

muffler

the PSU is from 2016. so 750W would be enough for the 3080 and 5900x? i tough they recommended at least 850W if you plan on OC. i was looking at the AM series from Corsair. seems pretty good but high in price.

for the RAM, i am leaning on the T-Force due to timings. pretty low CAS with tight timings on it. i will check what NEO have to compare them.

thanks again for the recommendations. It seems that when you sit on the sidelines for 2+ years you notice that the PC tech just passes by you and you miss a lot of stuff. what was good then is not now and vice versa.

ipaine

Just wanted to chime in about the PSU. Don't use a 750W and don't use a 850W either. With my 3080 ftw3 and 3900x not overclocked I was hitting 800W during a 3dmark run (only at 30% cpu usage during that too). If you want to be overclocking I would look towards something in the 1000W range. I have a Corsair HX1200i but you would be fine with the HX1000i or maybe the AX1000 titanium (based on the seasonic prime).

Just with how power hungry the 3080 is 850w is only good if you don't have other stuff running and aren't planning to OC things.

Bond007

Just wanted to chime in about the PSU. Don't use a 750W and don't use a 850W either. With my 3080 ftw3 and 3900x not overclocked I was hitting 800W during a 3dmark run (only at 30% cpu usage during that too). If you want to be overclocking I would look towards something in the 1000W range. I have a Corsair HX1200i but you would be fine with the HX1000i or maybe the AX1000 titanium (based on the seasonic prime).

Just with how power hungry the 3080 is 850w is only good if you don't have other stuff running and aren't planning to OC things.
WHAT!?! That is substantially more than anyone else I have heard of or read about.

Everyone else I have talked to and read of has the 3080 pulling 340-400 watts, with total SYSTEM loads gaming in the 475-600w range. Add some overclocking and lights and that puts you 650-700watts peak. I haven’t heard of anyone using as much power as you.

muffler

good info on the extra wattage on PSU. i was looking at the seasonic prime 1000w and the AX1000 but no stock anywhere. will have to do some digging on the HX1000i from corsair. might be hard to find right now. might have to go EVGA due to stock issue but then again, i got time since my 3080 wont be here for a while.

i was looking at my old stock items and found a set of DDR 4 trident Z 3000mhz with CL15-16-16-35 @1.25v (F4-3000c15d-16gtzb). would these be any good to start the new build with until stores get some items back in stock.

ipaine

That was a peak, and is what it what is reported in icue from the psu.

I guess I do have a few drives and a 360mm rad and a bunch of fans too though.

Lets see:
360mm rad with push pull so 6 fans
3 more fans up front and one in back
then 4 older regular hdds
6 sata ssds
2 nvme ssds

So that would add a bit, but again that 800W was with everything just a stock and not tweaked at all. Looked at a few more graphs I did and once again I saw a couple peaks around 800-810W but most usage was in the 600-700W range I would say. This is over a bunch of games and 3dmark. Nothing that was stressing both cpu and gpu at the same time.

muffler

you have pretty much the setup i will have so 1000w would probably be the way to go forward. the cost is minimal when buying new compared to having to upgrade in 6 months

Latest posts

Twitter