What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Going back to school - need new build $4000 budget

muffler

Hello all,

recently retired from the CAF and now going back to school to take my master in cybersecurity. my old PC i5 6600k is getting retired and need a new setup.
I have a budget of $4000 but that can be more if needed. I would like something to last me 4-5 years.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.

Gaming, homework with VM and coding, some forensics work that require lots of RAM and HDD space

2. What YOUR budget is.

$4000 or more

3. What country

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.

AMD or INTEL, would like the new Asus HERO Black with WIFI 6. i am team green all the way. 3080 min but which brand.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

monitor only - have an Asus V27aq

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

read lots and got some opinions but would like some of yours. IF you had that budget, what would you buy.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

OC yes i will

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
next 1-2 months.

thank you all for the help. this will be a work mostly PC and don't want to be slowed down by a bottleneck on anything. Speed and quietness are the main factors.

clshades

-With that kind of budget I'd be shooting for an AMD 5950x with a good AIO cooler, more headroom for higher frequencies.
-3080 I'd be looking for an Asus strix, I've had the best luck with cooling over the years with them
-2tb NVME drive
-A good EXOS storage drive
-Memory, fastest possible, not sure what's out there yet for 32/64 gb sets at 4000zh Not sure of your memory requirements but no less than 32gb. These have been good to me (i have the 32gb variant)

I don't know what your case size requirements are for your desk space but, I'm quite happy with mine Fractual stuff or Phanteks. Easily two of the best case makers, filters everywhere. Gamer Nexus and Dimitry via HWC you tube channel give really good reviews on cases.

moocow

CAF as in the military? If so, thank you for your service.

I say at least 32GB of RAM which would give you about 8GB per VM for 3 VM, leave the host with 8GB. I feel 64GB is a good starting point (2x16) and then move up to 4x16 if required.

muffler

thank you for they replies:

yes after 27+ years, i got out. Budget is from my Education reimbursement worth $80k. School is $72k and have $8k left over for PC and "other" stuff. UOttawa for Masters in Cybersecurity followed by Master from SANS with Pen testing as specialty. next 2 years will be full.

1. was looking at the 5950x but is it worth the extra money from a 5900x?
2. Asus strix is an options. was looking at EVGA FTW series.
3. 2tb x2 is what i was looking at. might as well use the PCIE 4.0
4. RAM was looking at 64gb with 4kHz just dont know what kind yet. the ones you mentioned are good since i had the old version of those in my current pc.
5. case lianli pc011 dynamic in white.
6. AIO, maybe. have one now Corsair 110 and like it. Don't know what is newer tech out there.

most of what i want i will have to way a while since they are either backordered or OoS.

draemn

The assumption is you want to spend your full budget on maximizing performance over price, if that is not the case, you should clarify.

moocow

Kraken Z62 and Z63 seem to have decent review. There's a Gamers Nexus review video on the different pump types on AIO on Youtube that you may want to look at. A lot of the AIO use the same pump but seems like people are finally designing their own. At this point, the only things you can buy now are RAM, mobo, case, and AIO. CPU and GPU are probably well into Feb and may be April before we have enough stock. Unless you know a guy in Asia as some locations have high stock level than others.

Bond007

With your budget you will be able to fit a 5950X. The 5900X will be perfectly fine as well though.

JD

Staff member
The odds of finding a 5950X/5900X or RTX3080 in the next 1-2 months is probably not great. You might win the lotto as well ;)

If you need this setup in that timeframe, you might want to give a "prebuilt" system a closer look. They seem to have better access to supply of CPU/GPU.