What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

going from intel to amb do I need fresh install windows 7?

Shadowmeph

since I am starting to multi task more I have decided to switch out my nvidia 680i sli mb and e8400 for a gigabyte cross fire motherboard with a phenomII x4 955 , I am wondering if I am going to have to do a fresh install of windows 7 . I really would like to avoid this because I just have my OS setup the way I like it but because of the mutli tasking I do my system slows down a little which is why I want to switch to my 955.

gingerbee

no you can do ti but you'll have to install the new driver ( well i have done it several times without problems )

boggtrotter59

You should always do a fresh install when switching mobo/cpu... especially if the chipsets are different... Even if you can get it to work without doing this... it probably won't work properly...

Shadowmeph

Damm I alway do this, I get my system running really good and setup the way I like it then I change some hard ware and have to start all over again hehe.
wished there was a way for me to take all of the chip set info off of the other Harddrive and then just replace it on this drive

gingerbee

windows 7 makes switching MB/cpu really easy plug and play but yes a fresh install always works best but switching over is not a hard thing with 7 it's not xp there not hacks you have to do or anything.:biggrin:

Shadowmeph

ok well that is good, the other reason I want to switch is because my main case has all of the water cooling gear set up and would be a huge hassle to sett up everything all over again hehe