What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Good combo?

Lysrin

I can comment directly on certain items here:

PC360 SE or the G4me One: Both are great. I have the PC360 SEs and I personally prefer open headphone/sets. So that would make either of these the better choice imo over the GSP 600s, if your use environment works for open headphones. I find even gaming at a decent volume with the PC360 SEs, there isn't enough sound leakage to bother my wife who often shares our study when she's reading. YMMV of course. If you like the GSP 600s but want open, there are also the GSP 500s (Amazon.ca).

GSX 1200 Pro: Have no personally experience with that unit. I have a Mayflower ODAC/AMP that was similarly priced and has been great. There are other companies that have been mentioned in these forums several times that make great options too. No reason, based on the reviews I have seen to recommend against the 1200 Pro. I'm not sold on 7.1 sound in headphones, but some people like it. I find open headphones with just stereo sound is great for gaming regardless of the genre.

EDIT: I should clarify, my ODAC/AMP was similarly priced to the sale price of the linked GSX 1200 Pro, not retail price. If you were paying that full retail price for it and the only difference is the 7.1, I wouldn't pay the extra. I'd likely get a good stereo one for less, but the 1200 Pro does have a lot of features beyond 7.1 that other ODAC/AMPs do not, if you think you'll use them.

Last edited:

Cypher^64

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere locally to try either, but which would you take? The 360SE or the G4me One? Not much difference in the price.

Izerous

Folding Team
Not about the models mentioned but more about 5.1/7.1 vs 2.0 headsets

I picked up a pair of Psyko Audio headphones years ago at Fragapalooza first version headphones essentially, but the demo sold me on surround headphones in certain games. Wasn't a scripted demo just a couple stations set up with Left 4 Dead? (never played the game before) but a large zombie picked up a car and threw it at the guy playing just as I put them on and the sound of the metal grinding on the concrete as he stepped to the side to have the car slide behind him and audibly hear the difference in the channels was impressive. Borrowed a pair and played CoD for an hour with them on and the ability to audibly locate footsteps was impressive. After the event I actually got kicked out of a couple CoD rounds for shooting people through walls, no one believed that I heard where he was and it was assumed I was hacking. But they are horribly disappointing with music while doing other tasks.

However when I consider that relatively old analog 5.1 headset to simulated surround sound on a 2.0 headset I don't find the audio positioning anywhere near as accurate as a headset with actual separate drivers.

Lpfan4ever

First things first, the GSX1200 is not necessary unless you're chaining multiples for LAN gaming. The GSX1000 has everything except that daisy chaining output. With that said the simulated 7.1 the the GSX1000 does is actually well done and not weird like 7.1 headsets.

As for headphones, I personally went with the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x and a modmic. The G4ME headsets are a good idea if you want to go with a headset rather than headphones + mic. I had Sennheiser PC350 for the longest time before this HD58x and it was great.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Another +1 for the GSX1000 for a DAC/AMP. I use one with my AKG K7xx's from Massdrop. I have the Massdrop Minimic as well, which works great when I bother to hook it up.

Cypher^64

I can't seem to find a decent price on the GSX1000, seems to be the same price if not more expensive than the 1200.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah, the GSX1200 is on sale for $35 less than the GSX1000. No point in paying more for the lesser model. Nice catch.

Lysrin

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere locally to try either, but which would you take? The 360SE or the G4me One? Not much difference in the price.

Well, I have the 360SE, and am pleased with them. I have never used the G4me in person, so I can't really comment. I know someone one here has the G4me ones and has commented before...

Spec wise they are very similar (according to the specs on Amazon anyway). I think the G4me is a newer model. Oddly the G4me is half the weight? They both appear to have the same frequency response and impedance so I'd think they'd be close if not the same in sound performance. The less weight could be nice, but I certainly don't find the 360SEs heavy.

I'd say if you decide to go with either of those two, I would go with the best price and put the difference towards your amp choice.

The modmic or minimic options are a good idea, imo if you don't use the mic much. I have a modmic and a set of AKG headphones, the latter I still like, but I didn't like dealing with an extra cord for a separate mic, even with the use of clips for wires etc. For me sound quality of the PC360 SE is great, and its mic is integrated. It's a good solution for keeping the headphones you love and adding a mic, I just found it cumbersome. Again YMMV.

Cypher^64

Well, I have the 360SE, and am pleased with them. I have never used the G4me in person, so I can't really comment. I know someone one here has the G4me ones and has commented before...

Spec wise they are very similar (according to the specs on Amazon anyway). I think the G4me is a newer model. Oddly the G4me is half the weight? They both appear to have the same frequency response and impedance so I'd think they'd be close if not the same in sound performance. The less weight could be nice, but I certainly don't find the 360SEs heavy.

I'd say if you decide to go with either of those two, I would go with the best price and put the difference towards your amp choice.

Thank you, I appreciate your assistance.

Latest posts

Twitter