What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Good gaming LCD ??

frosty

Frosty,

Check out the Acers 22 inch to 24 inch, they are the best LCD for the price!!! The newer ones have better contrast ratios than my old 700-1. Stay away from the viewsonics, junky picture and too expensive. They are a far cry from their CRT cousins I've owned. Acer all the way!!!!!!!

actually wanted to head to Futures lastnight to pickup and try the Acer 24" LCD.. this one..

Future Shop: Computers: Monitors: Acer 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor (P243WBD)=

but I had a migrain headache and didnt feel much like driving in the snow to the store...... I just knew I would have vomitted somewheres along the line!!! My girlfriend said "its must have been bad to keep you from buying something for the computer"!!! She was right.... maybe today if it goes away... its still lingering......

seems like a nice LCD.... there are a few 28" but I would get my nutts chopped off if I payed that much.... the 24" Samsung has a 10000:1 ratio.... for the same price (its on sale), so its a toss up between those 2 if I buy locally... off to swollow some Advil...... later....

b1lk1

Samsung 245BW works awesome for me. Great colors and speed. I can highly recommend it. ACER are usually decent too. Don't think it would disappoint.

frosty

well I took my son today and bought the Lcd I posted above....... I didnt really have a chance to have a good look at it, but for first impressions, I liked it. Nice and bright..... big, the base lifts up and down and Swivels to suit...... I played about 7 minutes worth of COD4 at 1900x1280 (think thats the rez or 1200) and to be honest... when I was done I felt sick to my stomach!!! Not sure if its something I have to get used to because of the size or what.... but all in all, everything was clear and crips and everything looked good.... more testing tonight!! Also wondering how much distance should be between me and the LCd..... I think I may have been too close!!!

cheers..

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
and to be honest... when I was done I felt sick to my stomach!!!

Try playing the weightless level in Crysis on a 24". Did that the other night and I had to quit playing after 10-15 minutes, I got vertigo so bad. I'd fly around a bit, then the room would spin once I stopped.

Fun game though. Looks fantastic.

We just got a couple of Samsung 245B's for our work, very happy with them so far.

Mr. Cipher

Mine is very small compared to yours, its an Acer 20", 2016W. Much brighter than my old Dell 2016WFP (I think thats the model, its the very old 20" LCD) and it works very well.

I wish I could afford 3 widescreens to play my games on. Although I think I would have to run SLI/Crossfire for that one. (Although I suppose one big screen works just as well)

Great suggestions on the hardware everyone, I know I found it useful and will use it this summer when I am looking for my new monitor. Is there a website where I can check up on HDMI/1080p and all that jazz? I don't understand it (sorry for minor thread hijack, it is semi-related!)

lcdguy

Folding Team
Not sure how these monitors stack up but i have been increibly pleased with my Viewsonic VX2025WM unforuntately they don't sell it anymore. But the 2035 might be close. Also you will probably want to make sure that the montior i HDCP compliant as well.

1080p - this is just a resolution standard
HDMI - digital interface that can send both video and digital audio up on cable.
HDCP - the encryption technology ued with the new hi def content. without HDCP it won't output hidef contaent at the full resoution of 1080p.

Empty_Quarter

I've been looking for an LCD upgrade to my current LG 204WT. After much reading, it seems Dell is the excellent choice in the LCD business, and I have decided that within the week (probably friday), I am going to place an order on Dell's new 2408WFP Monitor. This monitor comes at quite a high price of $700, but it should very well be worth it.

My critirea was simple:

1) 24"
2) Crapload of inputs, HDMI is a must
3) Non-glossy screen (Glossy screens irritate me)
4) Bright
5) Low profile edges.
6) Being able to rotate to portrait mode.

Dell was the only one to meet all.

Will let you know how it goes once I recieve it.

Latest posts