What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Good old BSOD is back... netbook version!

TimTheEnchanter

Can anyone help me, i was gently browsing NCIX on my eee pc 1000ha when suddenly a blue screen appeared for half a second and made it reboot. While rebooting, it always fails while loading windows : running it normally brings the blue screen again (no time to read the error, restarts right away). Tried to run it in safe mode : it simply won't load...

Somehow, i can't get access to the bios neither...

The last solution i see right now would be to plug my netbook hdd to my maiin pc at home, take back my important data (there is important data... university files), format, install W7 on it and start back. But honestly, that's my last resort...

any suggestions???

*summons CMetaphor to help me*

martin_metal_88

Well if windows wont load anymore there is no 50 solution you have to format. Probably an update witch have failed or even virus. everything can happen these day.

Ask for more.

TimTheEnchanter

Thanks, well here's what i plan to do : Take the hdd out at home, copy all my important data, put it back in my netbook, use the "restore to factory settings" and see how it works. Guess that can work. Never took out a hdd from a netbook though...

I also started to think : maaaaybe i could install linux....

tzetsin

On that note, if you press F8 just as windows starts booting, you can get boot menu options, one includes turning off the automatic reboot after bsod. which is handy. Also, if you have a vista disk laying around somewhere, you can boot to the recovery console and run system restore from the dvd. which is handy when you cant boot into safemode to do it from there.

TimTheEnchanter

It was xp, and it's all fine i used the system restore that came with the netbook and it came back to life, lost no data (had to plug in my hdd into my main computer before, though).

headsh0t

Thanks, well here's what i plan to do : Take the hdd out at home, copy all my important data, put it back in my netbook, use the "restore to factory settings" and see how it works. Guess that can work. Never took out a hdd from a netbook though...

I also started to think : maaaaybe i could install linux....
You could use a LIVECD version of Ubuntu and run it straight off the disc to backup important files to flash drive so you don't have to take the hard drive out. Well I guess this is a netbook so it probably doesnt have a dvd drive. Unless you have an external one?

tzetsin

There are many great Live versions of Ubuntu that you can install to a bootable USB drive, so that would still work. Its still easier to remove the drive and plug it into a working version of windows than it is to backup through an unfamiliar operating system though (assuming its unfamiliar for the op) Also assuming its not a ZIF drive, because you'd need to buy an adapter to hook it into your other pc.

The XP cd also has the ability to run system restore from the disk.

The way you did it was probably the easiest for you though if your not familiar with the command line.

These are just options for if it happens next time, or if someone's surfing forums looking for solutions to their own problems ;D

TimTheEnchanter

No cd drive, i consider buying an external one for such a use. Anyways problems are solved for now...

Latest posts

Twitter