What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Google succeeds in buying Fitbit... mostly

Lysrin

So Fitbit bought (and killed...) imo the best smartwatch option, Pebble (still using mine daily), and incorporated a lot of Pebble's stuff into their products. Now Google has acquired Fitbit. I say mostly because the linked article says the US is still investigating the acquisition.

Curious to see if this improves the Google Wear smartwatch ecosystem which really hasn't been able to produce a high-end product to compete well with Apple Watch or a low-end Pebble-like product that does the basic on-your-wrist stuff with long battery life.

The whole health data and ads aspect is a whole other issue... head back in the sand for now...

gingerbee

I don't know much about the whole smartwatch tech, but I know Fitbit's are garbage my wife went through 3 of them all covered under warranty in just under a year then we switched to a 50$ umidigi smartwatch and she loves, lasts for every and does all the same shit her Fitbit did.
So what I am getting at is google can only make it batter lol

JD

Staff member
Still an odd purchase for Google though, not sure why they were never able to design their own to go with the Pixel phones.

My mom uses Fitbit though and I agree, they usually last about a year and then they're garbage. Never keeps a reliable BT connection either, I usually have to help reset it every couple months.

Lysrin

Did I mention that my Pebble just works... all the time? And I still get 5-6 days on a charge! 😁

My wife has a Fitbit Versa, first gen. It's been good. Hasn't given us any significant issues.

Latest posts

Twitter