What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Google's new Nexus 7 tablet by ASUS, for $209

Mars

My only real issue is the limitation of Maps alongside Navigation. Without 3G / 4G / LTE, Navigation is absolutely pointless since whenever you aren't within WiFi range, the Maps don't work! I know there is a Map Cache but it only seems to cache about 100 square KM. Highly limiting IMO.

Anyone know if there is a way around this??
I bought Navigon for Android, offline Navteq maps, looked like the best overall GPS solution.

Eluder

My only real issue is the limitation of Maps alongside Navigation. Without 3G / 4G / LTE, Navigation is absolutely pointless since whenever you aren't within WiFi range, the Maps don't work! I know there is a Map Cache but it only seems to cache about 100 square KM. Highly limiting IMO.

Tether the tablet to your phone? :)

Arinoth

Staff member
He's looking for an OFFLINE option (I think), one where if you don't have cell phone reception or say are traveling out of the country and don't want to buy the overpriced traveling data plans.

If you wanted to tether your phone to the N7 over bluetooth you need to use the following apps:
pdanet and foxfi on your cell phone
pdanet on your cell phone

There have been a lot of issues getting the N7 to connect to a device over N7 so that's the go to work around (plus they are free apps)

Eluder

You could also tether via bluetooth on a Galaxy Nexus.
But for offline, guess the best choice, though expensive, is Navigon.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
That's what I am doing now though the Hotspot function on my Bold isn't all that great and it just kills battery life. I'll likely try Navfree.

JD

Staff member

You can chose to download portions of the map. Just keep selecting pieces until you cover the entire province or whatever.

intertan

Well mine should be here Thursday. I wonder if they will come out with a micro usb or what ever connection this tablet users flash drive

Arinoth

Staff member
An official one, probably not seeing as you need to basically run a custom rom in order to have OTG (on The Go) work with storage devices.

Latest posts

Twitter