What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Got a Hacker problem.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I think the point was that you can delete partitions at the start of a Windows install, THEN format it. No need for an extra drive to do this.
Bingo. Semantics I guess really? But you've got to know what to do.

Cannon Fodder

I think the point was that you can delete partitions at the start of a Windows install, THEN format it. No need for an extra drive to do this.
Bingo. Semantics I guess really?

Yup, that's what I was thinkin', when I said to format on re-install..... guess I should've clarified a bit. :doh:

But you've got to know what to do.

Yeah, and given that the OP got taken in by this scam, I kinda wonder about that part. Given that he hasn't been back to this thread, I'm guessing that after reading the responses, he's been busy......

Gonzo

How exactly did this come about? How did you convince Microsoft to do remote maintenance on your PC?

What browser are you using? Have you completely uninstalled that browser / tried a different one?

Aside from that... the only thing I can suggest is to try a completely fresh install on a different HDD (with all current storage devices disconnected/removed). If you do have a nasty that isn't showing up in AV software, restoring a previously saved image might very well be restoring something that's already infected.

That said.... this really sounds suspicious. Most cases like this aren't hacks.
I just contacted them via support chat when I had Update Issues and they fixed my Windows via remote. They indicated that the permissions had changed.

Gonzo

How do you know that it is actually Microsoft accessing you remotely? I know that there are people out there claiming to be from Microsoft asking access to there PCs and one of my mothers friends let them then she was hacked and latter locked out of her PC . Microsoft will never call you and say that you are hacked and that they need access to your PC or internet .

the only ways that I know of that a hacker can access files is either you letting them remotely in or you download a file that my opens you up to being access that file might not be know yet as a hack . as for blocking then set up your router better only have your personal things able to access your Internet like you cell phone tablet PC laptop and nothing else I use my mac address 's on my router also have it set up that no more then 3 things can access my Internet
I contacted them via https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/contactus/windows/setup/

Lysrin

That's the legit Microsoft support site. So if you contacted them, and not them contacting you unscheduled over the phone, then this isn't part of the phone scam people are referring to.

This is mysterious. What do you mean they said the permissions had changed?

Other than that, I would say as the others formatting your drives and removing partitions and starting fresh should be the way to be sure.

The other thing to do would be to restart your networking equipment: your own router, the ISPs hardware, etc. I would do a complete power off (unplug cord if necessary) and then power back on. Also change any passwords related to that equipment, just in case, and make sure the firmware is updated if you have your own router running. You likely can't update the ISP's hardware yourself.

And this may be way out there, but you could contact your ISP and ask them to push a new external IP address for your set up. They usually change occasionally anyway, and that might be extreme since your router hardware will protect you, but you can ask to ensure everything is changed.

Gonzo

That's the legit Microsoft support site. So if you contacted them, and not them contacting you unscheduled over the phone, then this isn't part of the phone scam people are referring to.

This is mysterious. What do you mean they said the permissions had changed?

Other than that, I would say as the others formatting your drives and removing partitions and starting fresh should be the way to be sure.

The other thing to do would be to restart your networking equipment: your own router, the ISPs hardware, etc. I would do a complete power off (unplug cord if necessary) and then power back on. Also change any passwords related to that equipment, just in case, and make sure the firmware is updated if you have your own router running. You likely can't update the ISP's hardware yourself.

And this may be way out there, but you could contact your ISP and ask them to push a new external IP address for your set up. They usually change occasionally anyway, and that might be extreme since your router hardware will protect you, but you can ask to ensure everything is changed.

On the update screen it said an organization was in control of the updates. M-Soft didn't elaborate just said permissions were changed.

Figured out my hacker is probably next door and was probably spieing on me through my web cam and microphone hooked to my system. Camera now removed and mike turned off.

Changed Router settings hope this stops it.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
On the update screen it said an organization was in control of the updates. M-Soft didn't elaborate just said permissions were changed.

Figured out my hacker is probably next door and was probably spieing on me through my web cam and microphone hooked to my system. Camera now removed and mike turned off.

Changed Router settings hope this stops it.
I still see that myself, my understanding is that it's a leftover of having been part of the insider program.

If you honestly were hacked, I'd strongly recommend doing a full fresh install including deleting all current partitions during the install.

4DoorGTZ

What does CHEATING at an online game have to do with the HACKING suspision (however true/not) this poster has? Should we also mention someone's poor golf game last weekend, man they were "hacking" all over the course! Then there's the guy with the cold, he was hacking (up a lung).

Trial member, go make some usefull post!

P.S. Lumberjacks Hack away at trees all day, lets bring them up too.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
What does CHEATING at an online game have to do with the HACKING suspision (however true/not) this poster has? Should we also mention someone's poor golf game last weekend, man they were "hacking" all over the course! Then there's the guy with the cold, he was hacking (up a lung).

Trial member, go make some usefull post!

P.S. Lumberjacks Hack away at trees all day, lets bring them up too.
Next time just use the report function to draw our attention to it, please.