What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Got a letter back from Gigabyte saying I have physical damage to my MB I sent in

Shadowmeph

I sent my P35 mother board a while back in hopes of getting it RMA'd , the mother board just quite on my and possibly took out my bfg 260maxcore vid card. well today I recieved a letter saying
Due to physical damage, the warranty on this gigabyte product is voided and

the item is being returned as is.

The PCB is damaged.

Due to this physical damage, repairs to the product can not be made to correct the problem.
I am taking a guess that PCB means Printed circuit board. I am wondering how I physical the motherboard. The only things I have done is installed the ultra 120 extreme. Maybe the 120 warped my motherboard, and then when I switched to water cooling ( which is when I started to have problems off and on) and Using the heavy Stinger water block, which only uses four long screws to mount it on the CPU. do you think that the lack support on the motherboard could be have caused the Physical damage? if that is the case I should think of a way to make some type of support type of support that would sit flush with the motherboard and of course wouldn't short it out.
if I had a removable motherboard tray I could just drill four holes and then use the tray as support for the stinger block. hmm .
those are the only things that I can think of which would cause physical damage to my motherboard.
sending the motherboard in was worth the try , I just didn't think that the motherboard was physically damaged.
010471933182609321sn073.jpg

I don't rememeber seeing any damage especially like that , but I could have missed it.

Last edited:

Chilly

Hold on... you installed and used a TRUE120, and then Stinger V8 waterblock with NO backplate to support the motherboard? Well, theres your problem! Its quite possible that the weight of the TRUE120 and pressure of the Stinger waterblock physically damaged the motherboard.

JD

Staff member
That's pretty serious damage.

Maybe you slipped with the screw driver once and just never noticed?

Though it could be shipping damage, or even somebody at Gigabyte mis-handled it and said person didn't admit to doing so.

Looks almost purposely scratched though.

Chilly

That's pretty serious damage.

Maybe you slipped with the screw driver once and just never noticed?

Though it could be shipping damage, or even somebody at Gigabyte mis-handled it and said person didn't admit to doing so.

Looks almost purposely scratched though.

Nah, I've got a motherboard here(that still works fyi) where I slipped a flathead screwdriver in the case, very similar damage. I was working on the motherboard inside the case, didn't notice the damage till someone else pointed it out to me.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
That looks like shipping damage to me. It's probably a good idea to take hi-res picks of any item your RMA'ing so you can prove it wasn't like that when it left.

If that's where I think it is on the board it may also have happened putting in an expansion card.

Shadowmeph

Hold on... you installed and used a TRUE120, and then Stinger V8 waterblock with NO backplate to support the motherboard? Well, theres your problem! Its quite possible that the weight of the TRUE120 and pressure of the Stinger waterblock physically damaged the motherboard.

the true120 had a back plate for mounting but the stinger block only had four long bolts with out any heads on them but they had had plastic nuts to mount to the mother board and then wing nuts to hold down the stinger block onto the cpu. that doesn't make any sense to me not having a back plate on such a heavy cpu block.
to be honest that pic doesn't even look like part of my board becasue my board was pretty clean that one looks dirty. but I don't have any picks that are clear enough to prove anything

I have never slipped with tools on any electronic equipment I have worked on, lol I know better then to use flat head screws to mount things. I have know idea how that happened. oh well.
two boards down and an older 680i motherboard that I bought off of Osir who had RMAed it on the way. this is going to be a whole new thing for me not sure what to expect.

That's great news! It's Lynnfield Upgrade time! :)
hehe not sure I could afford that I probably would go AMD next new build

Last edited:

Eldonko

Aw that sucks. At least it's an old board that you could replace for cheap if needed.

Lpfan4ever

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but it is entirely possible a screwdriver slip happened. The line I circled is what I'm questioning, but I also have no idea how everything else happened. Upgrade time though.:clap:
010471933182609321sn073.jpg

Latest posts