What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Got a new laptop

Messerschmitt

I bought a MSI GL65 9SD. It has a 1660TI GPU.

Am I reading this website correctly that this GPU is better by about 60% vs HD7970?

I was looking to buy an average gaming laptop that could do some occasional gaming (I no longer play a lot like I used to when I bought my Desktop in 2013). Is just so happens that I managed to find a killer deal on this laptop with 1660Ti (vs most laptops I kept looking at that had 1060 or 1650 GPU's).

Is my new Laptop actually better than my old Desktop I bought in 2013 in terms of gaming? I never felt the need to upgrade my Dekstop yet.

Desktop has:
i5 4670k
16Gb ram
512 SSD
ASUS HD7970 Direct CU II
Z87-A Asus mobo

Laptop is a MSI GL65 9SD-056CA
i5 9300H
8Gb ram
512 SSD
GTX 1660 TI

Might I as well replace the desktop with my laptop (and just connect the keyboard/mouse/monitor)? Does it outperform my desktop I kept using until just a few days ago when I bought this laptop?

Bond007

Without looking into things in depth, I would say the laptop has the specs to be faster. That said, most laptops are terrible at hitting thermal and/or power limits and then throttling cpu/gpu speeds. This could make the desktop faster in some instances.

Quad core CPUs and the 7970 are definitely limiting your gaming.

sswilson

Staff member

Might want to have a look through that thread... it'll give you some idea of how to control temps and optimize gfx performance in order to avoid throttling. (Pretty much all current day "gaming" laptops will throttle).

Messerschmitt

Might want to have a look through that thread... it'll give you some idea of how to control temps and optimize gfx performance in order to avoid throttling. (Pretty much all current day "gaming" laptops will throttle).
Thanks!

Soultribunal

Staff member

With the exception of my 51m :)

On to the actual Post, yes I think your Laptop should surpass your desktop.
One of the great things about all the progress we've made in power efficiency over the years is having almost desktop grade hardware be so portable.

Gaming laptops were a Joke back in the day when I had desktops too. Now. I just dock my 51 when I want to use a full 27" monitor and then when I want to be mobile, I pack it up and go.

Enjoy your new toy,

-ST

Latest posts

Twitter