What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Got Virus. Can't Reinstall Windows

geokilla

My colleague asked me to take a look at his laptop, an Acer E5-571P-59QA, and it seems to be deader than dead. He got a virus and now he's locked out from his laptop. Even safe mode is locked and impossible to get into. We tried to format it using a Windows 7 disc that we have and it won't even get past the Windows splash screen which shows up prior to the installation page. Aside from taking it to NCIX or Canada Computers, any suggestions on how we can try to recover his laptop?

No we don't have IT so whoever is technologically savvy is IT :whistle:

geokilla

Slave the hard drive into another PC and then re-partition it?
I considered that but I'm worried it'll screw up another PC as well. Have no idea what virus he got. I've never dealt with viruses before since I never got one in the past, as far as I know.

zsamz_

download a boot cd n format drive

all kinds of boot cds floatin about to Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drive or usb

Sagath

Staff member

all kinds of boot cds floatin about to Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drive or usb
Yeah, I'd try a USB. I steer away from doing anything on someones PC that is CDROM based. I've had to many flaky install problems because they're dying. DVD-ROM's just don't get used much any more, and sit for months/years.

Plus there are lots of options with USB boots created from anti-virus software that may fix the problem if you dont want to reformat.

clshades

Yeh the safest way is to unplug the drives on another computer and boot with a CD or usb drive to format it. There's gotta be some Linux variants out there that have a gui to accomplish this. The other option is to replace the drive and get on with life.

Shadowmeph

Yeh the safest way is to unplug the drives on another computer and boot with a CD or usb drive to format it. There's gotta be some Linux variants out there that have a gui to accomplish this. The other option is to replace the drive and get on with life.
yes use linux, you might even be able to boot from a linux disk or USB on the laptop then format instead of pulling the drive.

JD

Staff member
During the Windows Setup screens (I'm assuming you can get that far?), press Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt. From there, type:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0 (or whatever you see as the hard drive from the above command)
clean
exit
exit

Then try continuing through the setup screens as normal.

I'd also say go into the BIOS and load defaults. It may have changed something in there too.

geokilla

Yeah, I'd try a USB. I steer away from doing anything on someones PC that is CDROM based. I've had to many flaky install problems because they're dying. DVD-ROM's just don't get used much any more, and sit for months/years.

Plus there are lots of options with USB boots created from anti-virus software that may fix the problem if you dont want to reformat.
Hmm will take a look at this. Took a quick Google search and not sure what I'm looking for atm. I'm not sure if the BIOS supports booting from USB either. Hope it does though. Those OEM BIOS are stupid barren and you can't configure much, if any settings at all.

I actually told him he can buy a SSD. He said he'll consider it. Much better than buying a brand new laptop after all! Though he may have to bring it to Canada Computers or NCIX to get it swapped out as there's no hard drive cover on the laptop, meaning he'd have to take it all apart in order to install a SSD.

During the Windows Setup screens (I'm assuming you can get that far?), press Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt. From there, type:

I'd also say go into the BIOS and load defaults. It may have changed something in there too.
Will check out the BIOS suggestion! I can't get into the Windows Setup screen though. It just hands at the Windows splash screen. The one where it's all black and says "copyright Microsoft" or whatever at the bottom with the Windows icon in the middle.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter