What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GPS on android

martin_metal_88

Hey guys!
Just removed my free GPS from my cellphone plan ( even if it was free they dropped my bill by 10$ lol ) and I was wondering if there is a good ( free if possible ) apps for GPS that you can download map on your phone and use only the GPS signal instead of using the data network with the google nav thing. I don't plan on using it a lot but who know I might need it one day so better know now.

Thx

chubaka

i think Google maps for android have a cache function up to 10 mile radius.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Mapdroyd. Also, Google maps will allow you to cache up to 10 maps.

I gotta tell ya, the only thing I miss about my iPhone 4 are the map software options. Maps2Go, Garmin, and TomTom all had great offline maps, and I hope they start releasing Android versions soon.

For now, there is pretty much Mapdroyd from the searching I have done. Would love some other offline options to be posted here...

martin_metal_88

Yeah I heard about the cache thingon google map but for some reason I don`t have this option on my phone or soft version. I`ll see what mapdroid can do. I think I have tested over 15 app for the past 2 hours XD

chrisk

Folding Captain
Oh, there is Sygic as well, but I have not tested it. You need the Sygic map program, and the Sygic map downloader. Have not tried it at all.

martin_metal_88

Finally found Navfree. You can download map from computer or wi-fi and then use it on the phone. No need for a data network but some extra fonction can be used with data. Seems pretty good for a precise location as far as I can test it now.

martin_metal_88

Anyway, the 10 miles area that cache allow isn't enough. The few time I may need it is to go way beyond that range and of course in some area that have no phone network available.

Latest posts