What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GPU burn marks

erjohnz

I just upgraded my PSU to Antec Neo Eco 520W from a generic one (600W).
After powering on the PC, I can't hear any beeps and the monitor doesn't show anything.
I checked all the RAM, HDD and ODD. But none of them has any problem.
Until I removed my GPU, and then it started to boot again normally.
I've checked its PCB and saw some burn marks on them.

Now my question is does this mean my Motherboard is also affected especially the PCI-E slot?
I'm afraid to buy a new GPU because I don't know if the PCI-E slot is broken.

Please help me :sad:

Specs:
Intel Dual Core E5300
Inno3D 9400GT 1Gb
2Gb DDR2 PC800 Kingston
Antec Neo Eco 520W (NEW)

Last edited:

BrainEater

Burn marks are never good.

It sounds like you just lost the video card , but there is no way to know if it has affected anything else.

Sooner or later though , you are gonna hafta test that pci-e slot.What motherboard ?

got a local PC store ? you might be able to get it tested free....or find a loaner test card.

GL !

:thumb:

erjohnz

Still, if something is plugged in to the PCIe slot, the screen doesn't come up.
But when I remove it and place the connector to the onboard graphics, it boots up fine.
Anyway, my motherboard is an ASRock G31M-S R2.0

Last edited:

LoTech

Folding Team
Can you try another PCI-e slot? If not does a friend have an old card he can let you try. Sounds to me it maybe just the graphics card. At least the onboard works, so your not entirely down for the time being. Good luck.

BrainEater

Still, if something is plugged in to the PCIe slot, the screen doesn't come up.
But when I remove it and place the connector to the onboard graphics, it boots up fine.
Anyway, my motherboard is an ASRock G31M-S R2.0

When you say "something" I assume you mean a video card ?

That's probably a bios feature : " pci-e video auto sense "

....and that answers my question , you do have onboard graphics.If everything seems to work using the onboard , that's a good start.....But you do need to find a working video card to test with.

:thumb:

Adzsask

Your not telling the whole story :p, how about you let us in on the details you forgot to mention. GPU's just don't light up and start burning @ stock, so ya, unless you tell us the whole story, it is going to be impossible to troubleshoot. I have repaired a good 250 PC's and I can tell there is some missing details , the GPU just dosen't get burned from swapping out the power supply.

KaptCrunch

Your not telling the whole story :p, how about you let us in on the details you forgot to mention. GPU's just don't light up and start burning @ stock, so ya, unless you tell us the whole story, it is going to be impossible to troubleshoot. I have repaired a good 250 PC's and I can tell there is some missing details , the GPU just dosen't get burned from swapping out the power supply.

ONLY WHEN the 8 pci-e and the MB 8 wire plugs swapped, you get a nice red glow on video card

for iknows happened on a moduler PSU with all wires black and plug connections not ID by manufactor

i'd say the slot is doa or bios setting

the gpu is toast

BrainEater

Your not telling the whole story :p...

heh....I held off from saying that myself.SOMETHING bad happened there.

---

Can you take a pic for us ?....of the card and the burnmarks ? I'm guessing it's the VRM's for the card...

erjohnz

Sorry for my stupidity, but I saw in the BIOS that it's set as "PCI" and not "PCI-E" that's why it's not working. :doh:
I don't know why it was set to that, I didn't even change it when I replaced my PSU.
Maybe when I reset the CMOS?

Anyway, I tried cleaning the "burn marks" and I was surprised that I was able to remove it.
At first, I thought it was burn marks, but then it was just like grease or something, I don't know how it ended up there, but it was all over the PCB.
And besides, I always clean my PC. :blarg:

clshades

caps have oil in them do they not? Glad you figured it out... i hate the stupid problems. Sometimes the most obvious thing is the hardest to find.

Latest posts