What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GPU Fan RPM wont change

JJThomp

Hey so I bought this card from bigfoig and it got here while I wasn't home. I got hom today and have been testing it out and when I ran furmark it started to get really hot. I stopped furmark at about 80C, but I noticed I didn't hear the fan speed increase at all. I went into CCC and juiced the fan speed to 100% and heard no difference. The fan speed is stuck at 1160RPM at 10% PWM and at 100% PWM there is absolutely no change on the tachometer.

I'm using the newest catalyst drivers, I'm going to try to wipe them with driver sweeper and do it again.

Any clue what the issue could be?

sswilson

Staff member
Any chance you've got afterburner and/or the evga GPU program running in the background? That might be affecting the fan speed.

JJThomp

Any chance you've got afterburner and/or the evga GPU program running in the background? That might be affecting the fan speed.

Yeah I have afterburner, it's how I have been using to monitor RPM speed. I will uninstall it and see what happens.

Edit: Uninstalled afterburner and still no change, can't hear my fan spinning up at all

Edit: Tried flipping the BIOS switch, it lowered the clocks to the 925/1375 like this model is supposed to be (instead of the 1050/1500 that they were at when it was installed) but the fans still won't spin up.

Edit: I guess it is time to try different driver packages and hope one solves my problem

Edit: Well After a closer look it looks like someone flashed the BIOS since the card had two different BIOS on it, looks like somebody was troubleshooting the same problem on the card before me. The two BIOS versions I have are

015.021.000.003 and 015.030.000.002

The second BIOS is the actual BIOS that comes with the card (015.030.000.002) and the first BIOS (015.021.000.003) appears to belong to the MSI HD 7970 Lightning BE (or so MSI afterburner says), I'm guessing powercolor didn't install that one themselves...

Last edited:

JJThomp

Well foig has a good record and seems like a good guy I'm not going to drag him through the mud yet hopefully this can be resolved. Hopefully I find a fix for the card.

enaberif

Well foig has a good record and seems like a good guy I'm not going to drag him through the mud yet hopefully this can be resolved. Hopefully I find a fix for the card.

Good on you for that but at the same time unless he got that card used.... :whistle:

rjbarker

^^^^ Agreed, I've sold several Cards in the past and certainly would disclose a BIOS flash, it is what it is I suppose.

bigFOIG

I actually bought that card a long time ago at an NCIX warehouse sale. It very well may have been an open box item but ncix had so many of them which made me think they were just clearing old stock. It wasn't that much cheaper than regular price too.

Anyways, I never actually used the card. Just tested it quickly before shipping and it seemed to boot up fine. Clearly I didn't test the fan speed settings. I didn't even know this card had a dual BIOS feature haha.

Anyways, buyer originally thought the card was DOA and I told him I'd give him his money back if he shipped it back. Turns out one of his cables were loose and the problem was solved.

My offer for his refund still stands, but hopefully he can resolve the issue. :)

JJThomp

I actually bought that card a long time ago at an NCIX warehouse sale. It very well may have been an open box item but ncix had so many of them which made me think they were just clearing old stock. It wasn't that much cheaper than regular price too.

Anyways, I never actually used the card. Just tested it quickly before shipping and it seemed to boot up fine. Clearly I didn't test the fan speed settings. I didn't even know this card had a dual BIOS feature haha.

Anyways, buyer originally thought the card was DOA and I told him I'd give him his money back if he shipped it back. Turns out one of his cables were loose and the problem was solved.

My offer for his refund still stands, but hopefully he can resolve the issue. :)

Thanks FOIG, I think I have to give up on this one, I have tried everything other than flashing the BIOS but the card has two different BIOS on it and neither of them are solving the problem anyway. I think I'm gonna have to ship this one back to you.

Latest posts