What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gpu install on 2nd pcie slot-temporary purpose

jtf2

Just arrived a used evga 1080 ti gtx ftw3,upgrading from a 780 gtx classified!!
gpu is watercooled,waiting now on arrival of an ek block for the 1080

I want to temporarily test out the 1080 in my sytem,while still leaving the 780 card in the waterloop
i would install the 1080- in the 8 lane pcie slot of my asus hero viii.

I would of course disconnect all psu power to the 780,and plug in the 2 x 8 pin for the 1080
Without any power going to the 780 from the psu,and just plugged into the 1st pcie slot,
will the bios and windows just recognize the 1080 and not the 780,or would that cause a conflict?,like the bios
saying something about no power to gpu-plug cables in etc

Thanks

jtf2

thanks for replies.i have an old system in an antec skelton open air case i was thinking to try it in

abit ip35 pro q9550 etc,but in looking at the space i think the 1080 is a touch too long to fit

danmitch1

You can leave the 780 plugged in to power. The computer will see both gpus and will automatically prioritize the gpu that is plugged into your monitor.

jtf2

That's going to hold back a 1080 Ti quite a bit... you should probably look at upgrading soon...

that is just a backup system i have in storage not my main pc

Lysrin

As has been said, you should be fine to have them both plugged in and powered. Worse case you might have to select the primary card in Nvidia Control Panel but I'd guess not. As danmitch1 said it should decide that based on the connected monitors. I used to run my 1080Ti with a 750Ti and had no problem using my 1080Ti as my main. Even used the 750Ti to run a second monitor for a while, although it wasn't required.

jtf2

thanks for all the input,going to install it sometime today hopefully and will post back