What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GPU Mining May Make The Card Slower For Gaming

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

they pitted a card that's been mining for over a year against a brand new one and found the one used for mining to be about 10% slower. the drop is chalked up to the wear / tear mining causes.

so there is that...but what they really need to show is how a GPU used just for gaming for the same time period would perform against a new one. without that information they can't definitively confirm mining does long term damage.

FreeKnight

A caveat that probably needs to be kept in mind is whether it's mined at full speed and voltage or if it's been undervolted while mining. I don't know how much it actually reduces wear and tear on the card, but I'd suspect it affects how much mining strains the gpu over time

mGz

Correlation isn't causation.

Overclocking a GPU to the absolute brink (i,e using flashed bios without the factory safeguards) will have the same effect if the test bench doesn't have proper cooling. Obviously nobody is stupid enough to run their cards 24/7 365 like that.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Correlation isn't causation.

Overclocking a GPU to the absolute brink (i,e using flashed bios without the factory safeguards) will have the same effect if the test bench doesn't have proper cooling. Obviously nobody is stupid enough to run their cards 24/7 365 like that.

There was this one time we had a Folding Contest against another Tech Site, and well......all bets were off on my cards.
The only one that died from it all was the 8800GT, and I think a 9600GSO.

-ST

sswilson

Staff member
My dead soldier was either a GTX 280 or 275. Went through a couple of "bakes" but ultimately gave up the ghost. Other failures were Twin Frozer fans that had to be replaced a couple of times each.

Consumer grade video cards are not designed to be run on a 24/7 duty cycle. Fans will be the most likely failure point, but traces and solder joints on the PCB are also susceptible to failure over time from higher than normal duty cycle use.

I personally won't buy a used vid card from an unknown source unless it's a low end "throw away" card or it's identified as a mined card and being sold at a significant discount.

mGz

My dead soldier was either a GTX 280 or 275. Went through a couple of "bakes" but ultimately gave up the ghost. Other failures were Twin Frozer fans that had to be replaced a couple of times each.

Consumer grade video cards are not designed to be run on a 24/7 duty cycle. Fans will be the most likely failure point, but traces and solder joints on the PCB are also susceptible to failure over time from higher than normal duty cycle use.

I personally won't buy a used vid card from an unknown source unless it's a low end "throw away" card or it's identified as a mined card and being sold at a significant discount.

This. Bearings can only tolerate high temps for so long.

Heat is the real issue (obviously), nothing degrades components quicker. In my 18 years of owning PC's only my x1950 pro started producing artifacts after a couple years.

That was the last ATI/Radeon card I purchased. It's been smooth sailing ever since.

sswilson

Staff member
This. Bearings can only tolerate high temps for so long.

Heat is the real issue (obviously), nothing degrades components quicker. In my 18 years of owning PC's only my x1950 pro started producing artifacts after a couple years.

That was the last ATI/Radeon card I purchased. It's been smooth sailing ever since.

Heh... my 1950 pro was artifacting right out of the box. :) Fortunately for me it was purchased at Mysterybytes in Halifax who offered their own 1st year in store replacement warranty so I didn't have to deal with Sapphire's horrid warranty service (back then cards had to be shipped back to Asia). The Sapphire 1950 pros had 2 versions and V1 had absolutely crap VRMs so they overheated.

Latest posts