What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GPU unrecognized by MOBO again

Iknothtfeel

Hello new to the site and would appreciate help from all you great and knowledgeable guys out there. Currently just built my first new PC following all instructions to the letter, but my GPU can't be found at all either in device manager or during driver installation from Nvidia's Site leaving my monitor blank/black(no signal) when plugged into the GPU.
The card lights up and the fan spins. Intergrated graphics is the only place I can boot from.
So far, after scouring every forum on google it only yielded negative results. If anyone has something else I haven't tried the help would be greatly appreciated.
I've taken many steps to troubleshoot it myself as many people seem to have the same issue.

*I've updated all BIOS, Windows, and Drivers with no luck.
*MSI BIOS is supposed to auto detect the GPU so there's no way to disable/switch from the onboard graphics.
*BIOS graphics is set to PEG(only other choice is IGD) and Multi monitor is still disabled.
*Reset CMOS no luck either.
*Tried my older GPU(Gtx 960 4gb) in the new PC no luck. However both GPU's (gtx960,1070) still managed to work in the older PC.
*Tried interchanging the GPU's into both PCIE slots properly and didn't work.
*Changed hdmi cables no luck as well.

It looks to me like a MB failure, manual was of no help. Should I just go for an RMA?

System Specs: (All checked at PCpartpicker for compatiblity.)
Mobo: MSI z170A Gaming M5
CPU: Core i7 6700k
GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8gb turbo(new), Asus Gtx 960 strix 4gb(old)
RAM:2400mhz DDR4 Corsair
PSU: Corsair RM650X
Storage: 500GB 850Evo, 2TB SSHD Firecuda

Thank you.

sswilson

Staff member
Did you try the motherboard's output?

Sometime's it's an issue with windows defaulting to the onboard. If that's the case and you get an output from the onboard you can try connecting both the onboard and the dedicated gfx to the monitor (most monitors have at least two inputs) in order to allow you to change the default output in windows to your vid card.

Iknothtfeel

Did you try the motherboard's output?

Sometime's it's an issue with windows defaulting to the onboard. If that's the case and you get an output from the onboard you can try connecting both the onboard and the dedicated gfx to the monitor (most monitors have at least two inputs) in order to allow you to change the default output in windows to your vid card.

How do you set it to default to the gpu from windows? as MSI Bios is auto. Also tried both cables DVI to HDMI(onboard) and DP with VGA adapter(GPU) when the HDMI is unplugged still a black screen. It wont detect the GPU.

Last edited:

Iknothtfeel

Check your power cables. Use another set if it's a modular PSU. Make sure the GPU is seated correctly as well . and in the correct slot on the Mobo.

Have just tried the spare cable and old rosewill ARC 600 no luck, its seated firmly as well

sswilson

Staff member
How do you set it to default to the gpu from windows? as MSI Bios is auto. Also tried both cables DVI to HDMI(onboard) and DP with VGA adapter(GPU) when the HDMI is unplugged still a black screen. It wont detect the GPU.

It's actually the monitor that you set to default. If you can see windows from the IGP go into the monitor settings and it should hopefully recognise 2 monitors (assuming you've got both IGP and dedicated gfx connected to the monitor) if it does show two monitors you should have the option to set one or the other monitors to the main screen.

Iknothtfeel

It's actually the monitor that you set to default. If you can see windows from the IGP go into the monitor settings and it should hopefully recognise 2 monitors (assuming you've got both IGP and dedicated gfx connected to the monitor) if it does show two monitors you should have the option to set one or the other monitors to the main screen.

Just tried now unfortunately no luck the older VGA monitor isn't getting picked up at all no signal so it only shows the HDMI on my one monitor. Thanks again, Im hopeful that its not a dead MB since everything else works just fine. Possibly its a compatibility issue or just no/weak signal PCI. Bought the board from memory express and its never failed but there's a first for everything.

Latest posts