What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gpu works in one board and not the other (r9 290x 4g)

I have two motherboards:

an intel dq67sw paired with an amd r9 270 and core i5 2500, all work fine together
an Z97S SLI Krait paired with an amd r9 290x and amd fx 8150, all work fine together

HOWEVER, when I try to put my r9 290x into my intel dq67sw motherboard, it does not work.
It will not post and I get a very broad video error beep code that simply states I should reseat my GPU

Things I have tried ...

making sure the card is in all the way (even took the bracket off)
testing other motherboards
updating bios
default bios settings
googling it
updating bios on r9 290x
changing to from legacy to EUFI

none of this has worked so far..
any ideas?

TL:DR:
r9 290x (confirmed working) will not post/work in intel dq67sw motherboard but will post and work in a different motherboard,

sswilson

Staff member
You didn't mention whether or not the same PSU and/or cabling is being used when swapping motherboards. If not, that'd be my first guess.

Hey everyone, thanks for replying. I will answer you all now.

I am a 500w evga psu for my dq67sw and i am using a chinese 700w powersupply for the other motherboard.
I have used the 6 pin connectors on both in the past and they have worked, but come to think of it, I have never ever tested the 8 + 6 pin gpu connector thing on my evga PSU, you guys think it may just be the powersupply? I noticed the fans spin up on the r9 290x, even if it is not posting/detected.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, that'd be my first guess. There are some instances where particular cards were not compatible with specific motherboards/bios version, but that doesn't happen all that often.

It really sounds like you've got a power issue going on, that card draws a lot of power.

I just tested another PSU with the dq67sw and it did not work, that psu is confirmed working with the r9 290x on a different motherboard.

Bond007

Random. Must be either the puce slot not supplying enough power, or an incompatibility. Not sure of the best way ahead myself.

Latest posts