What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Graphical glitches awayyyy!

ShinraCorp

Alright so I have a friend who has a built with a R9 280X and a 500 W PSU.

Question is, is the PSU good enough for it or would it need a bigger/better one.

The PSU in question is a EVGA 500W 80 Plus Bronze...

Also the GPU is a Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X 3GB BF4 Edition with a UEFI button.

He only gets graphical glitches and driver crashes in CoD: AW and Kingdom of Amalur. If he plays Battlefield 4 on Ultra settings at 1080p it works perfectly fine.

So is it really a GPU, PSU problem or is it the games themselves?

Last edited:

Pelt

I wanted to find the reference so I could include it on this post but it escapes me at the moment, but the R9 280X needs a 600 watt PSU minimum. I remember this as I was shopping around for one a little over a month ago and for whatever reason that little stat stuck in my head. On another note, way way back in the day I had a Nvidia 4200 ti video card that worked wonderfully for the first week or so but then I started getting artifacts while gaming much in the same way you are describing, the cause as I discovered after much trial and error was the PSU. Unfortunately the discovery that it was the PSU came to late to prevent permanent damage to the card.

Found PSU reference at New Egg. This particular R9 280x requires a 750 watt PSU according to the system requirements listed under specifications for the card, but I'm sure it changes depending on who builds the card. Find the card your friend has and see what New Egg recommends for PSU.

SAPPHIRE 100363-4L Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card Tri-X OC version - Newegg.ca

Last edited:

ShinraCorp

There is a GPU PSU requirement list here:

https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

According to that list, Radeon R9-280X - 30A and a 550W psu minimum. IMO, the important requirement is 30A on a single 12V rail. Reviews suggest that total system power consumption is generally less than 400W @ load. (including cpu, ssd). So a good quality 500W may be sufficient.

I always though that the EVGA brand PSU were good, but I guess they're not good enough :p Well since Black Friday is tomorrow he'll probably find a good PSU on sale.

Slik

What ever you do,make sure you allow some headroom in the PSU. Be prepared in the event of any future hardware additions or upgrades. The PSU is often overlooked when buying hardware for a build.

Latest posts