What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Graphics Card Wont Boot

Rypto

Hey guys,

I bought some new parts last week and I have assembled the rig. But the graphics card just simply won't boot. I tried two different cards, which work in another computer, but not this one. The fan on the graphics cards won't spin either. My motherboard does not have onboard graphics so I can not go into the BIOS.

Here are the specs:

Intel i7 920
ASUS P6T Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked 55nm
OCZ 6GB (2GB x 3) DDR3 Triple Channel Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB Hard Drive
LG DVD Writer
Antec Nine Hundred Two Case

When I boot up the system, the fans on the case work, the CPU fan works, the optical drive works, but the graphics card doesn't work. I know this because the graphics card fan doesn't work, but it works on another system just fine. So the problem is not the graphics card itself.

I tried all 3 of the PCI Express x16 slots, no luck with any of them. I tried booting up with 1 stick, 2 sticks, and 3 sticks of memory, no luck. I tried 2 different monitors, no luck. I took out the CPU and put it back in, no luck. I tried two different graphics cards, no luck.

I am completely lost now and have no idea what to do. I have no idea what is causing this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arinoth

Staff member
It sounds like it may be a power supply issue, have you tried the different power connections (different PCI-E connectors) and making sure you have the 8 pin connectors plugged into it, that is my only guess beyond it being bad from manufacturer

Rypto

I used another card, still no luck. It's not the PSU because the other graphics card didn't need any connectors and yet the fan still didn't work. My guess is just that the motherboard was DOA.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
I would do a close inspection and make sure the video card is getting fully seated and not getting hung up on something.

Rypto

Okay so I tried yet another graphics card and the fan worked, but no display showed. But I put in the GTX 260 in that same slot, and the fan didn't even spin and no display. And I tried the graphics card on another computer and it worked just fine and showed the BIOS. So I am almost certain now it is the motherboard. I can run to the store and buy another and return the broken one.

Rypto

Alright I went out and bought a new motherboard. I plugged in everything and it worked perfectly out of the case. The display came up and everything. However, when I screwed it in the case, the same problem happened. The GPU fan stopped working and no display, and this time the CPU fan stopped working too. I unscrewed it and the CPU and GPU fans work, but still no display on the monitor. So the motherboard is not the problem I guess.

Also, whenever I turn on the system now, it powers up, but then loses power for 2 seconds, then powers up again. The GPU fan works, but no display on the monitor.

And since the system booted up once, I think that the RAM is alright. So could this be the work of a faulty PSU? Please help!

Latest posts