What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Great gaming PC for under $1000, how are these parts?

robev

Hey i've been doing research for a while and have had these parts recommended to me, before i get attached, i thought i'd get a second opinion.

I think i'm going to get these at directcanada, as they're cheaper than at NCIX, and DC has free shipping, and NCIX won't pricematch every part, so it would be 80$ more at NCIX.

ASUS P5Q ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard $138.24

Corsair TX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan $91.35

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 EPP Dual Channel Memory Kit $96.60

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache Ncq Hard Drive Oem $69.88

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail $205.32

Diamond Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI-I Video Card $268.32

Total: $869.71

I was also wondering, unless i should ask this in the case section, if these parts would fit in my current case, or should i get a new one:

Raidmax Scorpio 868 silver

this is what it says about PSU: Power Supply: PS2 size/ ATX12V P4 ready

PS: i don't know much about computer innards, so be kind with your terminology. :clap:

Dwayne

Nice parts. You'll find the Mushkin crowd pushing their memory here :) I don't see a case or DVD but they are not too expensive. Don't skimp on the case though! It makes a big difference on temps. My old machine was in a generic Antec case and the E6600 idled mid 40s with a stock fan. It is in a CM690 now with 2 extra fans (it comes with 3 installed fans!) and the E6600 idles 35ish now. After market CPU Heatsinks are pretty reasonable too, think about one of them. You can still come in under $1000 adding the case, CPU HS and DVD.

enaberif

Hey i've been doing research for a while and have had these parts recommended to me, before i get attached, i thought i'd get a second opinion.

I think i'm going to get these at directcanada, as they're cheaper than at NCIX, and DC has free shipping, and NCIX won't pricematch every part, so it would be 80$ more at NCIX.

ASUS P5Q ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard $138.24

Corsair TX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan $91.35

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 EPP Dual Channel Memory Kit $96.60

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache Ncq Hard Drive Oem $69.88

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail $205.32

Diamond Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI-I Video Card $268.32

Total: $869.71

I was also wondering, unless i should ask this in the case section, if these parts would fit in my current case, or should i get a new one:

Raidmax Scorpio 868 silver

this is what it says about PSU: Power Supply: PS2 size/ ATX12V P4 ready

PS: i don't know much about computer innards, so be kind with your terminology. :clap:

Good setup.. tho I'd change the memory out for Mushkin or G.Skill.

case? depends on your budget.. 590/690 are great.

misterlarry

Great ideas from both Dwayne and enaberif. You might get the cpu cheaper from DC if it is the oem model and use the savings for a cooler. I thought for sure that DC had the 8400 on for about $169 within the last couple of weeks. It caught my eye because I paid $213 for mine about four months ago. You might want to think of a second Barracuda HD at that price. Make sure you post a build log. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to HWC.

:thumb:

geokilla

If you're going to overclock, get the P5Q Pro. Price should be more or less the same.

Mushkin RAMs are widely pushed here. I don't know why, but many users seem to like it so go for it if possible.

Switch the hard drive to a Western Digital or Seagate 640GB. It's faster than the 500GB and only a couple $$ more expensive.

Other than that, looks great. Have fun building.

oksir

Banned
If you're going to overclock, get the P5Q Pro. Price should be more or less the same.

Mushkin RAMs are widely pushed here. I don't know why, but many users seem to like it so go for it if possible.

Switch the hard drive to a Western Digital or Seagate 640GB. It's faster than the 500GB and only a couple $$ more expensive.

Other than that, looks great. Have fun building.

i dont see why he should get mushkin if "many users like it", will you mind explaining the pros and cons to me?

also, how much more overclock can p5q pro do?? they are both P45 chipset? got any proofs?

thanks, as im interested in the claims u made.

robev

Overclocking sounds cool, but I'd be way in over my head if i attempted it.
I currently have a DVD drive on this computer, but it is broken, so yeah i'll have to get a new one, didn't think it needed mentioning.

I don't know much about computer cooling, i was hoping the fans all the parts came with were sufficient and extra cooling was just for overclocking =p
This current case has two fans in the back, one on the side and a vent in the front to late air in. I don't know if this will be enough for these newer parts, which is why I'm asking if this case is good enough/big enough or if I should get a new one.

I also don't quite know how to build a computer, so once I get the parts I will need help from online resources =p

Dar_ell

The CM690 will be awesome for your rig, the fans are enough but you might wanna add some later.building a computer is very rewarding, but if you feel too worried about it you could always ask a nearby tech store to fix it up for you. Mushkin redlines are a good choice IMO, its not because everyone likes them, it just performs well. Also if your not worried about space you could always go with the 320GB, i heard its just as fast as the 640GB (someone correct me if im wrong). Also buying a Modular PSU might be better, but if go over your budget that PSU will still do well. Try to keep away from stock coolers, i don't know about the others but my 8400's stock cooler is loud (not very loud but its the only thing i hear from my PC, im hoping to get the OCZ vendetta 2, or something else that out performs it by christmas)

geokilla

i dont see why he should get mushkin if "many users like it", will you mind explaining the pros and cons to me?

also, how much more overclock can p5q pro do?? they are both P45 chipset? got any proofs?

thanks, as im interested in the claims u made.

I don't know why the Mushkins are widely pushed here. I do know that lots of people recommend it. If there's any pros and cons, it's probably because they overclock well? You'd have to ask the RAM guru.

As for the P5Q and P5Q Pro, I heard that the Vanilla P5Q is like your average motherboard, while the P5Q Pro has lots more overclocking options. It's also priced in the $130 range, so I'd go with the P5Q Pro.

Latest posts