What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTLs?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Actually more than I asked - this is a very complicated matter. But I don't understand the values that you are talking about (and the same values shown in the article on page 7); I will use in my next build a Maximus Extreme and Asus also has a CPUGTL setting. But the settings are not the same as your DFI: they are fractions on the Asus.

CPU/NB GTL Voltage Reference: CPU: Auto, 0.63x, 0.61x, 0.59x, and 0.57x. NB: Auto, 0.67x, and 0.61x. CPU Gunning Transceiver Logic (GTL) voltages are nothing more than reference levels that the CPU uses when determining if a data or address signal is either high (1) or low (0). Precision voltage dividers generate these voltages and are usually specified as a percentage of VTT. In the case of 0.67, this would be 67% of VTT. For example, if VTT is 1.20v then a CPU GTL Voltage Reference of 0.67x would result in a GTLREF value of 0.67 x 1.20V = ~0.80V.

(taken from AnandTech: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Overclocking: DDR3 Takes Front Stage)

With this example, what is the default value?

Thanks.

turtletrax

Banned
Not knowing the Asus very well I am not sure what their stock setting would be, but I beleive it is more a fact of reference values set out by Intel, and, it by definition is VTT x 0.67x = GTL Ref. You want to use your GTL Ref to find .067x which can be measured on your motherboard with a DMM to get a scale ready. After you know a baseline, you can ditch the DMM and go by feel.

Basically the tables set out my Praz in the article he wrote are based on his measurements on his P35-T2R. (which can differ from one board to another very easily)

Now to throw a monkey wrench in everything the table are allot different in the 45nm parts. I, myself found that on my Q6600 G0, I actually disabled GTL ref and let the reference values be as I got what I wanted without messing with them. That seems to have changed in the Wolfdale parts. This could be a BIOS code issue, but only time will tell.

I read that article and I found it alittle over my paygrade, or perhpas I am just too lazy to really get it all down pat. Perhaps my E8400 will force me :haha:

Edit: I also will be moving my PS3 to fold for Hardware Canucks Charlie ;). I dont fold a whole lot but I am really liking the vibe at the forum here. Should give alittle back. :punk:

Last edited:

enaberif

My ip35-pro has this too and its set to 67% for both and it sounds like this is basically a way to allow for lower voltages but still maintain a good overclock...

Gonna have to readup more on this.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Thanks to both; I will definitely need to read that acticle again. And don't worry, this is way over my head too...
@ TT, thanks for the new folder! The more, the better. All points count.

MpG

:haha:

Yup, as soon as I read that in the E8400 thread, I started hitting the search engines too. Thanks for the article, looks like I've got some reading to do.

Latest posts