What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 1080 vs RX5600XT (vs GTX 960)

great_big_abyss

A few weeks ago I replaced my trusty and reliable GTX960 with a used RX5600XT off KIjiji. The improvment in various benchmarks was massive, but I instantly had buyer's remorse, mostly due (I think) to AMD's drivers causing a few unprecedented issues with my computer. I yanked the card out, returned it to the seller (with the assurance that he nor the card were the problem, the problem was with ME) and purchased a GTX1080 on this forum.

Anyway, the GTX1080 finally came in today, and I ran my gamut of benchmarks (3DMark's Timespy, VRMard, and various Unigine Superposition benchmarks). It turns out the GTX1080 is a small improvement over the RX5600XT. Yes, there's a little more aggressive overclock on my CPU now which affects the scores somewhat, but I think the difference is greater than just a 400Mhz CPU bump. Anyway, bench results below (with the GTX960 thrown in just because)

GPU bench.png

Dwayne

The 1080 is still a solid card, and the uplift you see from a 960 is something else.

I just bought into the AMD CPU ecosystem. That division has earned some trust. While the 6000 series of GPUs from AMD look pretty good, I think they still have some work to do building trust with some consumers over their past problems. They may have many of the kinks worked out, and yet, enough people still having troubles. I hope they get some solid drivers and software going with this generation of video cards. Competition is good.

sswilson

Staff member
I've been running a 5800XT 5700XT for a little while now and am pretty bloody impressed with how much of a boost that is over my 1070 ti. It's certainly up into QHD territory. AMD's drivers do still have issues however, I've run into a couple of fairly major issues (no wake from sleep on HDMI which has apparently been going on for over a year, and loss of the control panel which required a DDU removal and full factory re-install to resolve.

Last edited:

great_big_abyss

No wake from sleep on HDMI was exactly one of the problems I was having. I was also having a hard time getting it to go to sleep at times, too. A few other issues that I just didn't want to have to deal with.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... edited out the last.... it's a 5700XT, I guess I've got 5800X on the brain. :)

Bond007

Nice comparison and uplift. 960 to 1080 is a massive jump.

I would be really curious to see the same tests re-run with the 1080 and the CPU at the same freq as before (4.2) IOT have a true apples to apples comparison. I have a 1070 Ti, and have had my 3770 at 4.1 for a long time. I wonder what the extra CPU OC nets you.

clshades

A few weeks ago I replaced my trusty and reliable GTX960 with a used RX5600XT off KIjiji. The improvment in various benchmarks was massive, but I instantly had buyer's remorse, mostly due (I think) to AMD's drivers causing a few unprecedented issues with my computer. I yanked the card out, returned it to the seller (with the assurance that he nor the card were the problem, the problem was with ME) and purchased a GTX1080 on this forum.

Anyway, the GTX1080 finally came in today, and I ran my gamut of benchmarks (3DMark's Timespy, VRMard, and various Unigine Superposition benchmarks). It turns out the GTX1080 is a small improvement over the RX5600XT. Yes, there's a little more aggressive overclock on my CPU now which affects the scores somewhat, but I think the difference is greater than just a 400Mhz CPU bump. Anyway, bench results below (with the GTX960 thrown in just because)

View attachment 30188
Time Spy ultra?

clshades

10,667 with the 1080ti nutted. Combined was 10,915. CPU was 12,578 @ 4.3ghz. I'm probably not suffering any bottlenecks on the CPU tho.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Actually I'd say 400mhz is an actually potential difference maker for some benchmarks and games, why not save your OC and drop is back down for a bit?

Latest posts