What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 285 in stock and available

MonsterSound

the price makes me sad :(
Me too, but this is the 1st day, and that usually means high prices.
The great thing about video card tech, is that as the rate of development is so fast (and the competition is fierce) that soon the prices will come down. :)

biff

Just to confirm, this IS the same as the 280 except a 55nm GPU and higher clocks? Is the PCB the same?

I just got a 280 a week ago and am trying to get a feel for if I'm going to use the Step-Up or not. If this is just a higher clocked 280 then it hardly seems worth it for the price diff., I can just put my 280 on water and OC it. Those 295's have my interest too.

rjbarker

Biff...is your 280 vanilla or other Edition? My experience with the SSC's is no problems at all getting to present OC's 710 / 1458 / 1260 (x2) on air with reasonable Temps (Max out at 71c on All Enthusiast 1920 x 1200 Warhead. One thing I have found with these Cards, although they are rated for high Temps, in my experience, anything above 75c results in artifacts in demanding games such as Warhead.
Personally, I would hang onto any 280's or 260 (Core 216) until the 3xx Series are out this spring / summer. I really think the gains you would see would not be worth the hassle of the Step-up.

Eagle Eye

The performance gains would negligble in some areas, but the 285 with its high clocks show some gains.

Although as sky said:
Clock for clock, this is the same card as the GTX 280. There is no need to have tests to show this since the Nvidia documentation explains it in plain English. The entire point of this card is to showcase the 55nm manufacturing process with a card that can clock well while getting by with less power consumption.
EE

Last edited:

biff

It's the vanilla version says the part # but core clock rivatuner reports doesn't match. IIRC mine is 624MHz or 642MHz, not the 602MHz it's supposed to be. I can't remember exactly, not sure about the other clocks either. I'll have to recheck when I get home. Does the 285 have the ram chips on the back of the PCB too?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The PCBs on the old card and the new GTX 285 ARE NOT the same.

biff

Biff...is your 280 vanilla or other Edition?
I have the vanilla version (01G-P3-1280-AR) but riva tuner reports the clocks as 621/1350/2268 which are NOT what they are supposed to be. But doing a little research these clocks match the Superclocked version (01G-P3-1282-AR). WTF!

Eagle Eye

What about GPU-Z biff, similiar? If they're not looks like you got a SC edition instead nothing I'd complain about.

EE

Latest posts

Twitter