What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 660 Ti Review Comment Thread

great_big_abyss

For those that are doubting Sky's results, read The Tech Report GTX 660Ti Review. While they use a different methodology (they go 'Inside the Second'), their results are quite similar to those results found here.

Anyways, their results are such that the 7950 actually beats the 660Ti in most benchmarks, but not by much. They ARE using an OC'd version of the 7950, as well as a 7950 with the new Boost BIOS.
The 7870 ALSO edges out the stock GTX660Ti in a few benchmarks, but once again, they're using an upclocked (1100MHZ) MSI 7870 Hawk. They also test an upclocked Zotac 660Ti AMP! that subsequently beats out the 7870 in every test, but is still slower than the 7950's they have.

Whatever. The point is, that when it comes to the 7950 vs 660Ti, the two cards are quite evenly matched, and honestly, I believe it just comes down to brand preference. The 7850 IS a little slower, but it's also typically $50 cheaper, so that's to be expected.

Rule of thumb: If you're playing at 1080P or less, go with a GTX660Ti, or if you want to save a bit of money, a 7870. If you can afford a little more money, go with a 7950.

If you're playing at greater than 1080P (27" or 30" single display) go for a GTX670 (or to save a bit of money, a 7950).

For Eyefinity, either a GTX680 or a 7970.

Done! Now, let all the arguing stop!

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The people crying "BIAS!!!" will likely be quiet.....until they see something else they don't like....

eyefinity

Banned

Bullshit? So you're saying toms and HT4U is biased and you aint? Let's see..

I'm just gonna ignore Anandtech as they are known to be biased.

Legit reviews benched 3 overclocked cards? And from what I can see, they still lost some benchmarks to the 7870?

jc2.jpg

batman.jpg

dirt-custom.jpg

Did you even look at their benchmarks? Out of the 4 games the overclocked 660 Ti's lost 3? Are you so biased that you see green wins even when they lose?

Care to point out what you see in the techreport's review that backs you up? From what I can tell, the 7950 is streets ahead in everything except BF3, and the 7870 Hawk is close enough to the 660 Ti for it to be a draw.

TPU - the 7950 is faster at 1080p. Once again I have to ask how this backs you up? Like I said you are the ONLY site I've seen that has a victory for the 660Ti at 1080p.

Yes, it's clear who is biased.

terrybear

Banned
The people crying "BIAS!!!" will likely be quiet.....until they see something else they don't like....

Im not shure if its a bias thing per say .... I think abyss summed it up prettymuch in his post there. The reality is right now between the 2 companies there is a VERY large grey section in the mid stream of cards that quite honestly probly at this point in time its a wash.

It's ultimately gonna not change anything cause those loyal to x company will still buy there company's card over the others cause of there factual or unfactual beliefs in such company. :whistle: :blarg:

In the end as much as this now confuses some of us the consumer .... those whom can wade through it all but will see its super beneficial to us.

I for one will find it interesting if Sky or some other reviewer out there will do a head 2 head of 7870's vs 660's in crossfire/sli preformance .. :thumb:

Master_Shake_

AMD has a full line up cards despite the 7990 being absent and at this point who cares...

Nvidia has a lineup including a dual gpu but no bottom end 650....

i say enough of this generation!!!!

The weathers getting cooler and its time for pants again so i say,

BRING ON THE 8000 and 700 SERIES ALREADY!!!! :punk:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Yes, it's clear who is biased.

Indeed, you are completely biased against NVIDIA. I have a good laugh whenever I hear someone shouting "BIAS!" when a website doesn't play lip service to their erroneous expectations.

I see you picking and choosing but not looking at the larger picture. Clearly, your bias is not allowing you to look past the AMD-colored shades across your eyes.

There is NO DOUBT that at 2560x1600 the GTX 660 Ti and HD 7870 are in a statistical dead heat. Neither card is geared towards that market though since neither actually provides playable performance in the most scenarios anyways.

BUT, if you average out performance across ALL detail settings, the GTX 660 Ti is ahead by a substantial margin, particularly at 1080P. Every one of these points was brought up in our review. It seems you are looking at charts without READING and more importantly UNDERSTANDING. As such, I suggest you re-READ the reviews I linked to and even the ones you have so graciously linked....since they all come to the same conclusion as we did: in DX11 applications at 1080P or 1200P, the GTX 660 Ti is by far a better performer.

Latest posts