What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 660 Ti Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
How can both be correct?

There is an offset within software that can control boost and how far the "core" clock can be away from that point. However, the software has no way of determining in-BIOS power offsets as (at least from my experience) every piece of software starts off with a power value of 100% regardless of what is set in the BIOS. Therefore, I have not yet found a way to properly replicate all elements of a reference card's clock speed variance (clock and Boost) via ONLY software means.

Maybe I didn't explain it clearly to begin with. Sorry about that. :thumb:

Galcobar

Reading comprehension helps in interpreting the situation on the 7950B, eyefinity.

Sky called out AMD for shipping a BIOS update, rather than cards. He called them out for the fact that the last couple times AMD announced a card it wasn't available at the announcement, or at the promised date. He's previously called out Nvidia for vapour launches, but this was more akin to OCZ's 34 nm to 24 nm on the same models PR disaster.

Nvidia had cards to send, and to sell, when they announced those overclocked GTX 460s. Further, when Nvidia seeded the 460 FTW to everybody and asked for it to be used against the 6850/6870, Sky obliged by comparing overclocked versus overclocked rather than overclocked GTX versus reference HD.

And to note, this is coming from someone who can be a pain in Sky's ass over reviews.

Last edited:

JJThomp

Very, very few other sites got into such a tizzy over the 7950 boost, basically accusing AMD of deceit.
You might think that if the 7950 boost was such an issue to a person, the same person would have an issue with Nvidia seeding overclocked cards to everybody for reviews? That seems reasonable to me at least.

PowerColor Launches HD 7950 Boost State Edition; Proves Our Concerns Unfounded | Hardware Canucks

If you notice in the review the clocks of the card are mentioned. Although I am guessing you did not read the methodology or test set-up or really do anything other than look at the charts because that is all you have referenced the entire thread.

I don't see how he could be any more transparent in his review. The review says what he thinks, the review says what he has found, and the review could be done differently for sure but he tests all the cards the same way and that's the way it is. Could he be subconsciously supporting nvidia over AMD? Sure. Could you be suffering from a severe case of illusory superiority? Sure. Are either the case? Who knows? But I would tend to think the guy running AMD cards in his rig is not biased towards nvidia and in particular the 660ti over the 7870.

miggs78

I'm actually going to say the Galaxy GTX 660 Ti GC.

On that topic I should also ask.. for a person building a new rig, is it worth getting the GTX 660 Ti and save a few bucks over the GTX 670, considering that a GTX 670 on sale is just about $100 more. I hardly ever game at 1080p btw

Soullessone21

On that topic I should also ask.. for a person building a new rig, is it worth getting the GTX 660 Ti and save a few bucks over the GTX 670, considering that a GTX 670 on sale is just about $100 more. I hardly ever game at 1080p btw

I honestly found the N660Ti PE went toe to toe at times with my 670CU II so in my own opinion for 1080P go with the MSI 660Ti PE and overclock it if you ever feel the need but in all honesty I dont think you will need to. at its only $10 more then the stock model :)

YukonTrooper

If you're at 1080p or below and 60Hz, get the GTX 660 Ti. If you don't plan on playing Borderlands 2, sell your download coupon for $50 and turn your $300 card into a $250 card.

EDIT: It looks like some of the GTX 670s are getting the Borderlands 2 promo as well, along with Mafia 2.

terrybear

Banned
What I am curious about is eyefinity making these arguments about diffrent numbers that sky's posted is understanding if i remember correctly that sky's numbers are based on fraps benchs & not nessicarly "in game" benchmarks?

I know i use to be back in the day one of these biased users whom based preformance on mostly "synthetic benchmarks" like 3dmark & in game ones. But now I realy view most of these things as more reference points then facts. And although "fraps" is not perfect per say .... I do believe its probly the MOST factual & HONEST program out there to tell a user what the real fps preformance is in a game. Not shure if sky or others whom turned me onto this years back ... but I gotta admit .... it does work well & the numbers it produces are hard to argue with.

I know like for example how much things can vary just by when I run fraps while playing world of tanks how much of a factor the varying data can be.

All that said it seems like the ONLY worthy versions of these cards ARE the modded ones that are at the ghz mark.

velias

You say I can't prove it, that's true. However I can build evidence that when fully compiled would be enough to make people wonder if bias isn't a factor.

Very, very few other sites have the 670 beating the 7950 by 37.5% in BF3 for example.
Very, very few other sites got into such a tizzy over the 7950 boost, basically accusing AMD of deceit.
You might think that if the 7950 boost was such an issue to a person, the same person would have an issue with Nvidia seeding overclocked cards to everybody for reviews? That seems reasonable to me at least.
And for an absolute fact, that same person would be utterly embarrassed to even mention AMD's GCN shenanigans in the same breath as the sort of shit Nvidia has pulled over the years - and still is. Unless they had a heavy bias for Nvidia.

That's me done, btw.

You're done? Thank goodness. You really are being ridiculous.

NyteOwl

Good timing, my popcorn is almost gone.
popcorn.gif
That was entertaining. <ahem></ahem>

SP212

Processor: Intel 2600K @ stock
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD5

something wrong with this, CPU or motherboard is wrong,

Latest posts