What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 780 causing PSU to not turn on

FreeKnight

Hey Guys,

After thinking I had a dead PSU, I've played around with the system I'm working on and I can get everything working fine until I try to plug in the EVGA GTX 780 I have. Once I plug it in, the system won't even power on. I'm well below my calculated max PSU requirements, and my psu supports the GPU http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/PSU/GPU-supportlist.pdf

The GPU was working a few weeks ago fine, and I don't think it's suffered any damage. Tips or suggestions?

Thanks,

ZZLEE

What the set up we are helping with ??

Go into Bios and set Video to AUTO see what happens.

KaptCrunch

possible the card is shorted out also check the slot is clear and contacts are arched

FreeKnight

Sorry ZZLEE, looks like I'm forgetting the basics;

Setup is;
Haswell refresh I5 4690k
Msi Z97AC mitx motherboard
8 gb corsair 1600 mhz ram
Crucial M4 ssd
Silverston SFX 600w psu

I'm thinking Kapt's right that the card is shorted. It was one that I had in my tower when the cooling loop blew. I thought it survived and seemed to have worked after being set out to dry (albeit breifly I suspect now). I took it apart and while I didn't see any scorches, there's a few whitish-grey areas on the PCB, possibly with corrosion, though I can't be sure. Am I pretty much screwed with this GPU? I'm tempted to soak it in Isopropyl 99% for a day or so and see if that salvages what was a pretty pricey card, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. The Mb is brand new so I don't think it's the PCI slot.

FreeKnight

Never thought of brushing before. I've read that some people have had success with non-residue brake cleaner as well....

Just a tough bristle brush? I would assume a true 'wire brush' might be a bit to aggressive (not quite a welding brush, but still)....

KaptCrunch

Strip, wash as you say and try brush off any corrosion.

Once clean if it doesn't work try return.. if still no luck then there is no harm in baking.
do with the cmos battery removed and wait a day then wash and brush lightly with copper wirebrush

on corrosion parts

blow dry then into a pre-heated oven (lowest setting possible just there it turns on) 10 mins then turn off

an let it cool before removing

Dzzope

Never thought of brushing before. I've read that some people have had success with non-residue brake cleaner as well....
Just enough to remove the residue without damaging any solder etc. A toothbrush might be enough. Start light (on the brush type and how hard you scrub)

More to make sure the board is clean and if it doesn't work, so you have a chance at RMAing it successfully.

Latest posts

Twitter