What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 970 Post RX480?

Prickly007

or lowballers trying to buy your stuff for pennies on the dollar. :)

Of the two people that responded to my ad for the PSU I got as a RMA replacement, one offered $50 and the other agreed to my price of $175 if I delivered it; which I did.

I suspect the reasonably priced stuff doesn't last all that long in larger markets, and the GTX 970 prices I spoke of earlier are there week after week, if not month after month.

moocow

Most people are on CL are on glue. The only thing I got off there is a CH USB rudder set which I can't find anywhere else used. There are people out there wanting 1K for 2 year old Mac. I rather donate my old kit or sell them at a slightly lower than market price than deal with people on CL.

Back on topic. I think the main problem here is that until RX480 and RX470 are out with benchmarks and street pricing, you can't really peg a price on the GTX 970. If the DX12 performance is just a tad weaker than 1070 at a lower price, I think all the 970 could sink to $200 or lower.

MARSTG

I don't think that the DX12 games will be the focus, most games will still be based off DX11 but what the masses want is very good performance at 1440p at a price smaller than the gtx970. And seeing the leaks so far, gtx980 power at gtx 960 prices, is going to make a bitter pill to swallow for 970 owners looking to upgrade. DX12 promises a lot of latitude for the programmers but they need to do the extra work and do their part as well if they want the games to run well. One example is the EMA mode of DX12 showcased with Ashes of the singularity, there is a lot of work required to be done by the programmers, they can no longer require on the driver to do most of the job.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
If you check on DX12 titles being released in 16/17, it is a very VERY small amount of games.

I really wouldn't bank on a difference in dx12 performance between generations or manufacturers when making a buyin decision. Unless of course you're only buying based off one dx12 game...

sswilson

Staff member
I'm still sticking by my suggestion of $250. The RX480 looks to be averaging between $340 & $350 for a loud stock cooler and unlike Nvidia's Founder fiasco it looks like decent aftermarket units are going to be priced above that.

From what I've seen it looks to be a minor + for the newer card but they're close enough to not matter so I'd figure a pre-tax difference of $100 for a used part vs a new part is reasonable.