What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 970 Roundup (EVGA, GALAX, Gigabyte); Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member

On2wheels

Nice, right after I ordered the EVGA model, non SC. Sadly NCIX has not confirmed it's availability yet, the order status is stuck on the 3rd step. I wonder if it's gonna be here by December?

You mentioned the bios upgrade for a fan issue on EVGA, can you explain exactly what the issue is, and will there be a step by step on how to upgrade it or will any generic guide for nvidia cards work ok?

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
ALL EVGA cards in the retail channel now have the fix. :)

The fans simply didn't spin down when the card was at idle.

Bond007

It seems all 970 are pretty great. I think my pick of the bunch would still be the ASUS though for temps approaching the gigabytes, but smaller in size.

sswilson

Staff member
I've always wondered about Gigabyte's Dual Bios setups. Not sure I've ever heard of it kicking in on either GFX cards or Motherboards. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a hard wired/jumpered option that would force reversion back to a default bios Chip. It wouldn't however prevent me from purchasing a Gigabyte product.

It's a pity how the newly merged/formed Galax has decided to market to NA. Hopefully they see the light when their Canadian purchases start approaching zero and sign up with one of the couriers who offer all-in-one cross border shipping/brokerage. If not, I'm afraid that they'll have pretty much written off Canada as a market because savvy folks already know about the perils of unspecified brokerage fees, and unsavvy folks wouldn't be shopping via a stand-alone online store.

I'd love to pick up a 970 one of these days, but can't really justify replacing my 680 with one.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
I have to agree about the "automatic" or self aware Dual BIOS feature on mobos and GPUs. Trusting it to revert back to the original without a jumper is a bit too much of a stretch for me. Plus, I've never had it actually work when it should.

sswilson

Staff member
I have to agree about the "automatic" or self aware Dual BIOS feature on mobos and GPUs. Trusting it to revert back to the original without a jumper is a bit too much of a stretch for me. Plus, I've never had it actually work when it should.
That's been my experience as well, but who knows... maybe it happens so seamlessly we don't notice and there's just no indication when it kicks in. :)

Footman

I'm currently running a pair of the Asus Strix in SLI. I replaced a pair of R9-290 in CF. While I do not see much in the way of performance increase my PC is cooler and quieter and cheaper to run.

I will sat that having a single 8pin PCI-E power requirement is definitely nicer than having 2 x 6 pin. Also I have noticed that the Asus cards, although quiet up to a certain point make quite a bit of noise after 60% fan speed. I'll have to buy a pair of Waterblocks when released by EK.

Perhaps this is just my bias but after a year of AMD I am happy to be back with Nvidia...

Nice review.

SKYMTL

Staff member
Under what circumstances do the STRIX cards run to 60% fan speed? Are you running a smaller case or something?

Footman

Under what circumstances do the STRIX cards run to 60% fan speed? Are you running a smaller case or something?
These cards are not as quiet as some people think. I am running two in Sli and I have a gap between the cards. I also have these installed in a Switch 810 with excellent airflow. These cards ramp up to just under 70% fan speed when playing games and the temps can easily hit mid 70's. While not the ceiling of 80C that Nvidia set, mid 70's results in more fan noise than I expected.

Ultimately I will have these under water when EK finally get around to releasing the promised Strix block, but for now I can definitely say that these cards run in SLI are noisier than expected.

Latest posts

Twitter