What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gtx 980 2 8 pin power connectors question.

Rumils

I was wondering. A friend of mine just installed a gtx 980 in his pc and was having problems with coil whine. We figured out he had the 2 8 pin plugs on different levels of the power supply ( there are 4 plugs in total in a 2x2 config) once we changed them both to the same row the whine went away. The gpu are like this for about 6 hours. I was wondering if you guys think this could have caused damage.

This is the powersupply setup. All the power on the left are the 8 pins. One connector was in the top while another was in the bottom.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/hs_ZSeries_850w_022.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Also I should add he was getting poor performance prior to switching the connectors.

Last edited:

Master_Shake_

that's an old power supply but according to jonnyguru it is a single rail design....

OCZ Z Series 850W Review

so there isn't different levels of power supply.

strange that you got coil whine with 2 8pins on the same circuit...

you probably didn't cause any damage.

Rumils

that's an old power supply but according to jonnyguru it is a single rail design....

OCZ Z Series 850W Review

so there isn't different levels of power supply.

strange that you got coil whine with 2 8pins on the same circuit...

you probably didn't cause any damage.

Ok thank you good to know :) Yea not sure why switching which slot the power connector was in made a difference. He was debating buying a new power supply I did test this one before we put in the new card and it was within spec.

sweenytodd

Different power supplies and GPU combinations are key to coil whine. The noise will not damage the card nor affect the performance overtime.

JD

Staff member
That's an interesting find... makes me curious to try it myself too. Never would of thought of that.

choosy

Luck of the draw. But even if it is the same rail it could be the different solder job on the connections to the rail. So it's probably the PSU that does the whine. If you have a spare high wattage card you could try testing those same plugs just to see

KaptCrunch

EMF acting on traces taking a different route in PSU

EMF is the main cause of whine

Wikipedia said:
In electromagnetic induction, emf can be defined around a closed loop as the electromagnetic work that would be done on a charge if it travels once around that loop.(While the charge travels around the loop, it can simultaneously lose the energy gained via resistance into thermal energy.) For a time-varying magnetic flux linking a loop, the electric potential scalar field is not defined due to circulating electric vector field, but nevertheless an emf does work that can be measured as a virtual electric potential around that loop.

of magnetic field

Last edited:

Latest posts