What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GUIDE: Galaxy S (GT-i9000M) to CM9 (ICS) or CM10 (JB)

Arinoth

Staff member
I don't have many background apps running either, but multitasking definitely isn't possible, at least not at the level that new phones are able to do so. The One X (just as an example) is able to jump in and out of applications like no tomorrow. Pretty much instantaneous. On my phone, most apps take a few seconds to "load". I suppose part of my problem is that I use Swype (~14MB) and Nova launcher (~37MB) with Beautiful Widgets, Google Reader and baconreader widgets on my home screen (~24MB). But that still leaves me with 180MB of RAM free, but I guess it's not enough.

I've tried custom kernels too which bump it up to ~390MB of RAM available and even include support for swap and zram, and they actually seem to be even laggier than the stock CM9 kernel. They work great for the first couple hours, but then they get extremely slow.

Yeah, out of all of those which you listed I only use Swype. I've stock with whatever the default launcher has been with my ROM flavour. For me and what I use my phone for it has more then enough horse power to not allow me to justify going to a new phone, you on the other hand sounds like you want all the bells, whistles and thensome. Enjoy the GS3 when you get it, as it sounds like you'll be going towards it when it's released.

slay3r

It is possible that it's a hardware failure at this point if it's not booting up. How long have you let it run for? Sometimes it does take quite a while before it finally finishes booting. The GT-i9000M was infamous for the internal SD failing and I had it happen to me but was able to get the phone replaced thankfully.

I think 15-30mins long and sometime i let it till the battery drain (overnight) hoping it would boot!
Any other firmware i could try to flash before shipping to repair service?

I have 2 of these phones, and 1 was a bad batch and they replaced the pcb while under warranty.
I had red text showing can't mount sdcard but with this newer phone, i dont have any errors showing and yet it cannot boot..

How do you know for sure its a Hardware failure? Will they still repair it out of warranty and any idea how much would it cost? I will call them tonight..

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I'm guessing it's cheaper to buy a new phone than to repair it, but hard to say.

And you should see that red text saying blk0 or whatever if it's hardware failure. Otherwise it could just be ROM issue.

You could try flashing this: BASE - [ODIN] DarkyROM 10.2 Resurrection GT-I9000 | DarkyROM although I don't see why my "Phase R: Flash UGKG3" wouldn't have worked.

slay3r

I tried to flash this rom. I did it succesfully but im still stuck at darky boot logo looping...

JD

Staff member
Not sure what else to suggest then other than getting a new phone...

CriminalMind

I got stuck at the loader too on an update today.

I booted up into CWM, flushed the cache (incl Dalvik), and then went for the full restore. I then reinstalled the update again TWICE over, and rebooted to find my phone back in working order.

(Yes, I finally pulled the trigger)

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yeah well I stick to Toronto, Markham at the furthest. I'm fairly sure LTE coverage is solid in those areas. I believe it's a simple checkbox on the phone though to use LTE or not?

Looks like a check box for ICS and disabling LTE is hit or miss. A few roms I chose did not have the option, or the auto option was only for the LTE bands which means when you reboot the phone, you must deselect LTE again.

I used a dialer method to get wcdma only and it seems to work well at the moment.

Slay3r: have you tried getting a new or reloaded version of CWM recovery? Make sure you use the boot version and not the one that comes in ROM Manager (that runs from an android app)

enaberif

If your phone is rooted don't forget to install a better kernel for it and then install set cpu.

I have my phone setup to run at 480mhz when its doing absolutely nothing including screen off then whenever I need the power it'll bump it up to 1.7ghz.

M

member 3099

If your phone is rooted don't forget to install a better kernel for it and then install set cpu.

I have my phone setup to run at 480mhz when its doing absolutely nothing including screen off then whenever I need the power it'll bump it up to 1.7ghz.
Sadly no OC kernels yet for LTE note when running ICS (what me n chrisk are running) :sad: should be out soon when ICS officially launches for our phone. Luckily the note runs quite well as is, but I wouldn't mind a mild overclock for shits n giggles

Can't imagine not rooting and still waiting for ICS to launch, the carriers are a JOKE at releasing updates. :blarg:

slay3r

Not sure what else to suggest then other than getting a new phone...

Thanks you for helping! I've sent the phone to repair and i will wait the diagnostic.
Im so tempted to buy the new galaxy s3 on june 20... but if the repair doesn't cost much i may save some money as it was still running good and better than the Nokia C6 they gave us for replacement. :haha:

I got stuck at the loader too on an update today.

I booted up into CWM, flushed the cache (incl Dalvik), and then went for the full restore. I then reinstalled the update again TWICE over, and rebooted to find my phone back in working order.

(Yes, I finally pulled the trigger)

Never been able to enter CWM.

Slay3r: have you tried getting a new or reloaded version of CWM recovery? Make sure you use the boot version and not the one that comes in ROM Manager (that runs from an android app)

I've flashed CWM via odin since my phone doesn't boot anymore but when i try to enter CWM recovery its a black screen....This is a mysterie, i will wait and see :blarg:

Latest posts