What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

[Guide] How much RAM is enough.

On2wheels

This is what I currently use
Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit - CML8GX3M2A1600C9
it's on for $65 today if I were to upgrade to 16gb. My question is about old ram like this, I've seen the price skyrocket the older it gets, is it worth it to grab it now while it's reasonable or is there something else compatible with the Asrock Z77 Pro3 board that I should look at if I do make the jump to 16gb?
ASRock > Z77 Pro3

The board has DDR3 2800+ printed on it, would that be a significant upgrade, if it is faster ram.

Lysrin

... is it worth it to grab it now while it's reasonable or is there something else compatible with the Asrock Z77 Pro3 board that I should look at if I do make the jump to 16gb?
ASRock > Z77 Pro3

The board has DDR3 2800+ printed on it, would that be a significant upgrade, if it is faster ram.

I did exactly that and went from 8 GB to 16 GB in my system when my Corsair RAM went on sale. There is value in having matched RAM and I was concerned it would get hard to find or expensive later on. 8 GB in my 4790K system was feeling not quite future proof enough for the money I spent. In terms of the 1600 or the 2800+, I'm not sold on the real world performance difference. Sure if you're overclocking a lot the 2800+ might be useful but beyond that or synthetic benchmarks I haven't seen the ROI for going beyond 1600-1800.

And I chimed in on this earlier but I think, especially given current RAM prices, that I would recommend 16 GB minimum now in a gaming PC. That's my opinion on it anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts