What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Guide to the Hardware Canucks GPU Benchmarking Process

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Yup. Directions plus the replay will be uploaded tonight.

SKYMTL

Staff member
Bit of an update here guys.

Adding: HawX 2 and F1 2010. The "How To" benchmarking guides with videos and / or config files will be posted tonight or tomorrow. For all you conspiracy theorists, this boils down to one NVIDIA-centric game and one AMD-centric game. It should even the playing field a bit for the nit-pickers out there.

Removing: Starcraft 2

The reasons for removing SC2 should be self-evident. First and foremost, the numerous updates Blizzard releases make past replays incompatible with the latest version of the game. Since we make it a point to use the latest version of the game engine for all reviews and benchmarks, this situation has made benching SC2 next to impossible as it necessitates the re-creation of replays and re-benchmarking of cards all too often. In addition, this game is in no way taxing to a modern graphics card unless you implement control-panel and quite often buggy AA routines. I find benchmarking time will be much better spent with other games.

I also want to mention that this move brings us one step closer to eliminating ALL DX9 and DX10 games from the benchmarking process. In the early part of next year, I intend to have a DX11-only game lineup. The days of benchmarking today's GPUs on yesterday's game technologies are coming to a close.

Last edited:

geokilla

Bit of an update here guys.

Adding: HawX 2 and F1 2010. The "How To" benchmarking guides with videos and / or config files will be posted tonight or tomorrow. For all you conspiracy theorists, this boils down to one NVIDIA-centric game and one AMD-centric game. It should even the playing field a bit for the nit-pickers out there.

Removing: Starcraft 2

The reasons for removing SC2 should be self-evident. First and foremost, the numerous updates Blizzard releases make past replays incompatible with the latest version of the game. Since we make it a point to use the latest version of the game engine for all reviews and benchmarks, this situation has made benching SC2 next to impossible as it necessitates the re-creation of replays and re-benchmarking of cards all too often. In addition, this game is in no way taxing to a modern graphics card unless you implement control-panel and quite often buggy AA routines. I find benchmarking time will be much better spent with other games.

I also want to mention that this move brings us one step closer to eliminating ALL DX9 and DX10 games from the benchmarking process. In the early part of next year, I intend to have a DX11-only game lineup. The days of benchmarking today's GPUs on yesterday's game technologies are coming to a close.
This tells me that you don't play enough SC2! :haha:

I think it's fine. The stress SC2 puts on my 9600GT is even less than COD: MW. Any decent GPU today can run SC2 at max settings fine.

SKYMTL

Staff member
HawX 2 won't be implemented for the review going live tomorrow night due to the damn DRM preventing me from getting into the game to finish benchmarking.

Good going Ubisoft!! Make a game that needs you to always be logged in and then effectively shitting on users by screwing up logins. Idiots.

Iphikratous

And you just know that people who pirated it are playing it with no problems. It seems DRM is a really good way of showing customers how much they mean to the company!

That aside, changes make sense!

D

da_bradler

This tells me that you don't play enough SC2! :haha:

I think it's fine. The stress SC2 puts on my 9600GT is even less than COD: MW. Any decent GPU today can run SC2 at max settings fine.
I'm not exactly confident a 9600GT could run A SC2 game of nexus wars 90/90 supply x 8 players on ultra on a 1900x1200 display. I understand it being to hard to bench but I doubt a lot of the graphics cards you review could handle the customs maps as well as whatever single player level your testing. but granted it's a hard game to bench, just saying this game engine is going to be around for 5-10 years and way more people will be exposed to it than say a metro 2033.

Latest posts

Twitter