What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Guild Wars 2

thorn

Having really enjoyed the first, and still log in from time to time, I am looking forward to GW2.

ANet is demoing the game at gamescon and part of that is PvP. Some videos of actual PvP are surfacing such as:

Guild Wars 2: PvP Asura Dieb (Asura Thief) gamescom 2011 - YouTube

Anyone else play GW1 and was into PvP? What do you think of the "new" PvP in GW2.

I am not sure what to think of it, the "organised" PvP of GW2 seems more like Heroes Ascent than GvG. Even then Hero Battles is probably the best comparison, just instead of AI Heroes you play with actual people and capture points was one of my least favourite modes. Though they do mention that the capture point style won't be the only one. I will reserve final judgement until I can actually try it out, but I was really hoping for organised PvP to be more GvG than hero battles.

However they are also adding the ability to have player organised tournaments which might allow for more customization particularly player count.

frontier204

I played GW 1 but was never into organized PvP - more random arena and the Factions battles where you just hit play and never organized teams beforehand. I'll admit I sucked at it because I never had the patience to figure out any tactics besides going after soft targets :bleh:

I like some of the movement mechanics they added into the game - jogging around and never being able to get over that 1-foot high barrier (unless you necro traversal or shadow stepped it that is) was a little dry.

ilya

I'm going to miss the mesmer and interrupt/shutdown mechanics mechanics.

I never really managed to keep a guild together for consistent competitive GvG, (a bronze cape here and there) but tombs/HA was a lot of fun and I've lost countless hours of sleep in there. (HoH is bad for your health)

I do like the fact that GvG is going to be a "team skirmish" style of play. Removal of dedicated healers was a good idea, but I hope proactive protections will be available on the guardian class.

thorn

I'm going to miss the mesmer and interrupt/shutdown mechanics mechanics.

I never really managed to keep a guild together for consistent competitive GvG, (a bronze cape here and there) but tombs/HA was a lot of fun and I've lost countless hours of sleep in there. (HoH is bad for your health)

I do like the fact that GvG is going to be a "team skirmish" style of play. Removal of dedicated healers was a good idea, but I hope proactive protections will be available on the guardian class.

Well they still have one class left to releases I believe. So there could still be a mesmer type class. I had the same trouble with guilds, after my first competitive guild all the rest never lasted more than one season. The one with the most potential fell apart shortly before the end of season tournament (before AT's, when you had to be top 24 or whatever it was to get in). It was the first season after NF was released.

WIthout healers or at least some sort of prot there is some concern about spiking. Though based on that video with ~15k HP and skills that don't seem to do more than 1500 it might not be as much of an issue in 5v5.

Arinoth

Staff member
Meh, lack of healers is what has more or less turned me off this game. Makes stuff easier if everyone and their grandmother can heal themselves.

thorn

Having watched some gameplay from the recent weekend beta event I don't think the lack of dedicated healer/everyone able to heal themselves makes it any easier. In GW1 every class had their own healing skills, just that people packed extra offense or utility instead of healing since there would be a dedicated healer(s).

From the PvP I have seen so far it is more arcade'y than GW1 GvG or HoH, it resembles more Alliance Battles. Deaths will probably play less of a factor, though I will wait until the more "public" claosed betas start where hopefully actual PvP players from GW1 get a chance to play PvP.

ilya

Meh, lack of healers is what has more or less turned me off this game. Makes stuff easier if everyone and their grandmother can heal themselves.

Most that have played GW1 competitively would argue that dedicated healing classes and spikes were what broke the game.

Self healing in the GW universe has always been relatively inefficient. (even for dedicated healers) It was the game developer's way to promote teamwork over solo play.

JJThomp

Signed up!

Makes the game a lot harder, normally in a raid you sit there while your tanks tanks and a healer makes sure no one dies. In this you need to dodge attacks heal yourself protect your team mates. You have a lot more roles to think about which makes it a lot harder... Also a boss wil hit for like 10k and you will heal for 2k.

If the difficulty is why you have been turned away from this game as someone who has played top raids in WoW and payed a lvl 35 dungeon in GW2 I can safely say GW2 is way harder.

Last edited:

Latest posts