What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Guru3D review of new Noctua NH-U12S cooler

Izerous

I have more than a few Noctua fans on my cooling unit, as ugly as they are they still work really well.

Edit: About their price tag... yes costly but even far from the most expensive fans. I think i bought my collection of them at about $15-$20 each and some fan now are $40+ each with flashy RGB coloring. But previously I was buying coolermaster fans and a pile of other brands and they were all failing. Some the motors would just die, others the plastic stretched and the blades started rubbing against the frames so instead of replacing a random dead fan every 6-8 months I have been running them for numerous years without a single fault yet. The cost of constantly replacing cheap fans was getting to be a pain, especially the effort to get them out of my setup.

Last edited:

Bond007

Can deal with their colors.. but their price tag.. not a chance. I'd rather invest into AIO than this.
If you don’t want a noisy pc, quality air coolers are still better than AOI....from every review I have seen. Not peak performance with high rpm fans, but if you pick a reasonable to quiet dB level, air coolers will have better temps.

Mr. Friendly

So does any cooler... fans have a bearing life and can fail at any minute. AIO have at least a 5-6 year life span.

not necessarily true. we had a customer with ThreadRippers and their AiO's constantly died. I suspect they wore out the pumps due to the higher temperatures they ran.

and you can't replace a burnt out pump on an AiO kit. a fan on a HSF is a simple fix.

Vittra

So does any cooler... fans have a bearing life and can fail at any minute. AIO have at least a 5-6 year life span.

That's not an argument for AIOs. They use fans on their radiators to remove heat just as heatsinks do. How that heat travels is what causes an additional point of failure for an AIO, and that's what Prickly007 is getting at.

Heatsinks have wicking material inside the pipes to transfer heat to the fin stack - this should work virtually indefinitely. Pumps are a mechanical device with a stated MTBF that is exponentially lower than the former.

Besides that, you also have to consider how confident you are in how sealed your AIO really is, otherwise expect evaporation, regardless of the formulation of fluid they are using.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter