What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hard drive not always recognized

chewbroccoli

ok so last night I switched out the SATA cable and switched to a different sata power connector. first boot it worked like a charm, no long wait at the splash screen waiting for it to be detected.

before I did that I figured I'd run the health check again, but it stalled out and slowed my whole computer down to nothing, then errored out saying it could not complete:

06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 02 (Interrupted by hard or soft reset), Failure Checkpoint = 98 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!

so then I popped open my computer and switched the cables, booted fine. I ran the extended health check and it passed. so I'm thinking it's all good and it must have been the cables or something but phewph it works. This morning when I go to boot my computer it takes a bit longer at the splash screen but it detects it and it shows up on the intel matrix storage screen like normal but then after the jmicron screen it says "sata port 5 device error" which is where my HDD is plugged in. So I rebooted and it took a while to detet but then worked fine. I took that opportunity to back up all the data from it on my array.

hopefully tonight I can try plugging it into the other controller, I'm thinking maybe try another port on the same controller too. any other ideas?

chewbroccoli

I switched it to the other controller last night. it boots way faster as it doesn't have to wait to recognize it. I ran another quick test on the drive and it had the same problem it was having before where it wouldn't complete. I gave it 40 minutes of being stopped at about 80% complete and then just cancelled it. The estimated time for the test was 2 minutes and the full test I ran before only took 40 mins so I figured if it hadn't moved for that long it was just going to error anyways. it'll run the quick test, stall out at about 80% and then my computer runs super slow until I reboot. So I guess that means the drive is bad?

chewbroccoli

booted this morning and I got a windows startup error. I don't think I have my Win7 release disk to run startup repair. Do you think I could use my Win7 RC disk to repair Win 7 pro?

KaptCrunch

booted this morning and I got a windows startup error. I don't think I have my Win7 release disk to run startup repair. Do you think I could use my Win7 RC disk to repair Win 7 pro?
oh win7 release/cr it time bomb for mar 2010. this may be your issue

could roll back date and see if still errors out

chewbroccoli

I've got win 7 pro on it. I got a free copy from school but I don't know where my disk for it is. it might be back at my parents house, I'm wondering if I can do the startup repair with my burned Win7RC disk?

last night the WD drive wasn't recognized by the jmicron controller either. I'm thinking I'll go pick up another drive, back it up and try and get the WD drive fixed

chewbroccoli

so I've been trying to backup my data on an old IDE WD 500gig drive but now I just can't get the WD recognized. I've been booting into the XP install I have on my raid array, but it doesn't see the WD drive even if it's been recognized in the bios. XP does see the IDE drive though. also now one of the hard drives in my raid array has failed. yesterday my XP was also doing that fun thing where you drag a window around and it leaves a trail of windows behind it. I'm not so sure now if it's just 2 hard drives failling which is possible or if something else is the problem. if it were just the HDD my win XP should be running just fine, which it isn't, but it could just be some other problem causing it issues.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter