What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hard drive not always recognized

chewbroccoli

Hi,

when I boot my computer lately it's been taking a really long time to recognize my boot hard drive, sometimes it doesn't even recognize it. I've got a rampage II extreme, running 3 500g seagates in a raid 5 which all get recognized fine. then a WD caviar black 500g as a boot drive. all are off the ich10r not the marvell controller. the seagates are on ports 0-2 then the WD is in 4 and my DVD drive is in 5. I did move my computer a couple weeks ago but I checked all the cables and they're inserted properly for everything. any ideas?

thanks,

Jacob

Synth

- Swap the WD drive's SATA cable
- Run the WD diagnostic tool to check the disk's health

From there, if we can rule out the hard drive and cable, we can move on to the motherboard.

Is your PC overclocked, by the way?

misterd

Swap a new cable for your boot drive cable. And test your WD drive with something like Ultimate Boot CD or download the actual WD tests from their site.

*edit completely ninja'ed* =)

KaptCrunch

just one HDD or all ? like rest said change cable also look @ power connection going to that HDD.

if all is not showing up on boot, check cmos battery voltage

chewbroccoli

just the one WD one, the seagates are all recognized properly. I checked the power connection last night. I'll see if I have an extra SATA cable to try tonight. Hopefully I'll have time to try the WD tools.

chewbroccoli

I ran the WD health check quick check this morning and it passed that. didn't get a chance to try another sata cable though. I'll try that tonight, if I have time I'll run the full check too.

sswilson

Staff member
Maybe the WD doesn't play nicely with the raid setup? How about trying the other controller?

chewbroccoli

I thought about that. I assume you could boot of either controller.

would the data on the drive still be readable off the other controller? I would think so but I'm not sure because of the raid array. does the ICH10R still treat the WD drive normally if it has other drives on it that are in an array?

sswilson

Staff member
It should be no problem reading off of either controller. Can't say for sure about issues WRT normal + raid on the ICH10R, but that would be one of the first things I'd be looking at.

Latest posts