What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

hard lock after GPU swap

Bond007

I just swapped from a HD 6950 OC'd with shaders unlocked to a r9 280x. Computer runs fine for destop, browsing, movies, and low demand games. As soon as you load the GPU in more demanding scenarios the computer stops responding completely... have to hard shut down. It continues to display a black or grey striped signal to my monitor. All fans and lights remain running as normal in the case. Tried reseating the GPU and connectors, and going to a different driver version. Temps appear to be fine for what I can gather before the shutdown (I tried a custom fan profile with high rpm with the same results). Uninstalled drivers and cleaned before installing the new GPU. Specs are as per sig or drop down.

Am I missing something. I am thinking it is the GPU or the PSU, but hope its not either. Any ideas? Any way to tell if its one or the other? The PSU is not the best, but less than a year old and should easily power the GPU.

EDIT: See post 20 for the fix for anyone that ever has a similar problem.
EDIT2: Still crashed. It just delayed it.

Last edited:

MARSTG

You can display using the iGPU on the i5. Do that and load the GPU with something heavy like furmark or do some folding, see what happens.

Bond007

You can display using the iGPU on the i5. Do that and load the GPU with something heavy like furmark or do some folding, see what happens.

Never thought about that...I don't think I have ever had a GPU that wasn't being used for the video signal.

I don't have another computer with a PSU strong enough to run the GPU, but out of the box thinking, could I use a jumper on a second PSU and have it just connected to the 6 and 8 pin on the GPU to give it an alternate power source? My other seasonic power supply (older 500w) would be more than enough to power those connectors, but not enough to power the whole computer.

Bond007

Also, if the video is coming off the integrated, how can I load the GPU with furmark...is it a setting?

MARSTG

i am pretty sure furmark has an option to choose the gpu to be worked on. Worst case scenario you could just do some folding on it see what happens. It can work with up to four gpus at once.

Attachments

• fur.jpg
    fur.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 124

Johan45

Double check your power connections at the card and PSU or even swap out cables if you have enough. That PSU should handle the card and CPU with that 60A rail.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I'd use driver sweeper or some other tool to competely remove any traces of the amd drivers and then re-install.

Bond007

Double check your power connections at the card and PSU or even swap out cables if you have enough. That PSU should handle the card and CPU with that 60A rail.
Double checked everything. The only thing that changed was the GPU. Just swapped the modular cables going to the GPU with the same results.
I'd use driver sweeper or some other tool to competely remove any traces of the amd drivers and then re-install.

Doesn't seem to be driver related, since the games will run without issue if they aren't fully loading the GPU (SCII, DOD, or other games with the graphics quality on min)...as soon as you turn the graphics quality up in more intensive games is when it crashes.

Johan45

Is this a new card or used?
It still wouldn't hurt to clean all the drivers out and start again. AMD drivers are touchy in my opinion and it could just be a conflict with the new hardware somewhere. DDU works quite well.

MARSTG

...as soon as you turn the graphics quality up in more intensive games is when it crashes.

Ok, we might be onto something here : 280X might do that, it happend to mine and I heard it for a few times around to some friends. Some companies, in the desire of making a quieter card, will write a lower tdp in the bios and the card will crash when using a lot of GPU resources. I had a MSI Gaming of a 280x that was doing that. You will need to extract the bios of the card with GPU-Z and open it with Video Bios Editor VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards | TechPowerUp Forums
Verify the upper limit of the TDP, for example my MSI was capped at 212W. I moved the limit to 242W and reflashed the bios and the problem was solved. The same Video Bios Editor will also allow you to reflash the modified bios back to your card.

Last edited:

Latest posts